Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Lyriclumpclass
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Licencing Question

Post by Lyriclumpclass »

We currently have a single B&R machine (lets call this HOST_VEEAM_A) that handles all the replication between two ESXi Hosts (both of which have two physical CPUs), lets call them HOST_A and HOST_B.

We currently have a 4 CPU socket licence from Veeam so all is good there. However, If we were to hypothetically add a second B&R machine (lets call this HOST_VEEAM_B) to replicate between the same two hosts above (HOST_A and HOST_B), would we need to get another 4 CPU socket licence ?

I guess the question lies with what we are actually licencing. Is it

1) The ESXi hosts being replicated.
2) The B&R machine performing the replication.
3) Both of the above.

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Licencing Question

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Lyriclumpclass.

You are licensing items/objects protected by Veeam B&R server. If you want to use single license for multiple Veeam B&R server you should install Enterprise Manager, add both Veeam B&R to the EM console. With such setup license is going to be 'shared' across all backup servers. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

In case of socket license we license you for source host (where objects to backup or replicate reside on).

So, if you plan to replicate both ways (from Host A to Host B; from Host B to Host B), make sure your license covers total number of sockets (number of sockets two hosts have).

Thanks.
Lyriclumpclass
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by Lyriclumpclass »

Thank you both for your answers, this is exactly what I was looking for.
If I may ask a supplementary question. If we installed enterprise manager (perhaps on one of the HOST_VEEAM_A), can the B&R servers still be accessed & controlled independently or would this introduce an extra dependency ?
i.e. Can we
1) Use the B&R console to connect to HOST_VEEAM_A, configure jobs, kick of replication, backups etc.
2) Use the B&R console to connect to HOST_VEEAM_B, configure jobs, kick of replication, backups etc.

Say we then powered off HOST_VEEAM_A (upon which we have also installed enterpise manager), is (2) above still possible.

For v.Eremin, we have already learnt this lesson and already have the requisite licences (4x). The way we use veeam is exactly like this (replicating both ways).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Even if EM is installed, you can still access individual backup servers and manage backup and replication jobs from them. Thanks.