Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
cc_apo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Craig

Error with backup to tape job

Post by cc_apo »

Hi,

Support ID# 03184874

We're having various issues with our backup to tape job. The job is saving backup files from disk to tape. Several of the jobs fail to save due to the error below:

09/09/2018 00:00:26 :: No restore points found for date 09/09/2018. Synthesized full backup was not created because the most recent restore point is a full backup xxxxxxD2018-09-08T183140.vbk (08/09/2018 18:31:40).

Our job is scheduled to run on Sundays as our Synth fulls run on Friday evening/Saturday. They are all complete by Sunday.

Idea clues as to why the job isn't picking up the previous days backup and saving it to tape?

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Error with backup to tape job

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Craig.

This message is displayed when there is nothing to process. Can you clarify if restore point you are referring to has already been processed by this tape job? Thanks.
cc_apo
Novice

Post by cc_apo »

Hi - No this error was given on the first run of the tape job which started at 00:00 on Sunday 9th. It's happening with quite a few of the servers in the job but, as an example, serverA ran a synth full on Saturday 8th and completed successfully at 18:10.

The job gives the details below for the server:

Building source backup files list started at 09/09/2018 00:00:23
No restore points found for date 09/09/2018. Synthesized full backup was not created because the most recent restore point is a full backup SERVERAD2018-09-08T180142.vbk (08/09/2018 18:01:42).
Source backup files detected. VBK: 0, VBK map: 0, VIB: 0

Thanks.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

If the full synth is completed on 8th and you're trying to backup a full synth from 9th... I'm guessing Veeam is looking for a file from the 9th and does not care about the one which was generated on the 8th?

Not 100% certain I'm understanding this correctly, but that could possibly explain it.
cc_apo
Novice

Post by cc_apo »

ejenner wrote:If the full synth is completed on 8th and you're trying to backup a full synth from 9th... I'm guessing Veeam is looking for a file from the 9th and does not care about the one which was generated on the 8th?

Not 100% certain I'm understanding this correctly, but that could possibly explain it.
Possibly, the tape jobs don't seem very logical to me. We run our full backups on Friday and Saturday - some of them are large jobs which don't complete until Saturday evening. We used to run the tape job on Saturdays but had similar problems and were advised to move the job to Sunday by Veeam support so that the job would run once the primary backups had completed.

Just remembered another related point which may be having an impact. We were advised to add the following Reg key when we changed the job to run on Sunday.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\

TapeGFSBackupWaitTimeout
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0 (1440 min = 1 day default value)
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Hi Craig. That is how gfs backup to tape job works: it starts at the scheduled date and waits for new backups for the current date. In 24 hours (the mentioned registry key changes this value so if it's set to 0, the job will not wait backups for the current date) if no backups appeared, the job starts processing the most recent previous backup.

Also please keep in mind that if the tape job was just created or was disabled and enabled again it will 'forget' backups for the previous days and won't process them. So it may be your case if the job was created/enabled on Sunday.

By the way, the message is not an error (red), it is either warning (yellow) or info (green).
cc_apo
Novice

Post by cc_apo »

Thanks for the reply.

The problem I'm seeing is that this tape job wasn't touched for a week due to the GFS method you mentioned yet still didn't pick the new backups up. I guess I'll have to leave it to run again this weekend and see how it goes.
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Ok. I cannot say anything specific since there're no tape job's logs among those uploaded to your case's ftp, so only assumptions based on the three lines 'No restore points found' posted here.
cc_apo
Novice

Post by cc_apo »

Update: The job ran much better over the weekend but I still received the same message for one of my servers. I've been issued instructions for using fix TF96565 which will hopefully help.