Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jfgarreau
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jean-Francois GARREAU

Backup without RDM

Post by jfgarreau »

Hi,
I'm just testing Backup and replication (v5.0.1.198) and I have a little problem (I run ESX 4.1u1 and vCenter 4.1u1).
I'd like to backup a VM which own a physical RDM. I don't want to backup RDM, I know it's not possible and i need'nt so.
So, i made a backup job for this VM, and i excluded the physical RDM .But when I launch this job, it always tries to make a snapshot of this RDM, and the job fails ....
What can I do, please ?
Thanks by advance
Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup without RDM

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jean-Francois,

Actually, if you have a VM that has "supported" disks and physical mode RDMs, you can still use Veeam to back it up. Unsupported disks will be automatically excluded from a backup job.

However, I wonder what type of error do you recieve for this job? The job shouldn't fail unless you're using Windows cluster VM with SCSI controllers engaged in bus-sharing. If this is the case, then this configuration isn't supported by VMware.

Thanks.
jfgarreau
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jean-Francois GARREAU

Post by jfgarreau »

Thanks for the answer.
My VM is standard : one disk on vmdk and one physical RDM. No MSCS, no exotic configuration.
My job contain this VM only, and I've deselected the physical RDM from disks to backup.
When I launch the job, I have the following error :
Createsnapshot failed, (snip) file <Unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore".
Like it tries to make a snapshot of my RDM.......
Can I exclude this RDM directly from VM settings ?
Thanks
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Jean-Francois, this error has nothing to deal with pRDM drive presence, but is due to your VMDK size, and VMX datastore block size. Please follow the link for explanation: File is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore