Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dh.hampson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug

Scale-out backup question

Post by dh.hampson »

Looking to implement this, I am new to this company - they have a ton of backup jobs (by datastore) currently going to 4 backup repositories.
Going through the help guides I saw this:
If a backup repository is added as an extent to the scale-out backup repository, you cannot use it as a regular backup repository

Does that mean it is a all or nothing deal by backup repository? I would not want to move all of the jobs at once to a new scale-out nor do I want to add all of the current backup repositories to a scale-out repository if it is going to break the current backup jobs
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Scale-out backup question

Post by veremin »

There is no need to interfere with your current backup strategy, you can add Scale-Out Backup Repository as additional repository to your backup infrastructure and start migrating jobs gradually to it or using it solely for the new jobs. Thanks.
coolsport00
Veeam Legend
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Shane Williford

Post by coolsport00 »

4 Repositories isn't a lot. But how many b/u jobs is 'a ton'? Are all Repositories on the same storage? If they are, and jobs run all at once, that can be a decent hit on your storage array (if that's what you're using). Assuming b/u jobs run after hours, that 'hit' shouldn't matter much, *if* you don't have too many b/u jobs running at the same time.

Anyway, not sure what your exact question is. If you're thinking about using SOBR, there are limitations in using them. If you're asking can you use a current Repository that VB&R is using for a b/u or replic job in a SOBR, the answer is no. Nor can the Repository be used in any other SOBR. And, it can't have any data from any of those jobs on it before adding it to a SOBR. Scroll down to view SOBR Repository limitations here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Hope that helps. Let us know if not.

Regards.
Shane Williford
Systems Architect

Veeam Legend | Veeam Architect (VMCA) | VUG KC Leader
VMware VCAP/VCP | VMware vExpert 2011-22
Twitter: @coolsport00
GlenG
Influencer
Full Name: Glen Gunselman

Post by GlenG »

It's been awhile, but when I added my repositories to a Scale Our Repository the jobs were updated to use the SOBR. Nothing broke. Works well for us.

Each time a job runs Veeam will dynamically pick an "extent" for the job.

Glen
dh.hampson
Lurker
Full Name: Doug

Post by dh.hampson »

A follow up, we created a new SOBR, added 3 existing backup repositories (non-prod) to it (that had jobs configured to them). The jobs flipped over to the new SOBR with no drama or fuss - works great. Now I need to figure out how to re-configure 100's of other jobs that are using snapshot to the SOBR (& add a secondary dest.)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Do you mean you need to re-point jobs that have storage snapshot as a secondary destination? This is not an issue, you can add backup repository that stores regular backups for this job to SOBR just fine (provided other limitations do not apply). Alternatively, if these are snapshot-only jobs, you would need to switch them to a regular repository first (probably can be automated via PS).