Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aich365
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Clive Harris

Defrag and Health Check reporting

Post by aich365 »

We have multiple customers using Veeam set as Forever Forward Incremental or Reverse Incremental.

We got caught by one of these customers when their 10TB VM created a bloated backup file of 16TB.
this occurred because Health Checks and defrags were not set and no Synthetic process ran.
The job had to be restarted (due to NAS size) and the backup is now just 8TB in size

Now we have a health check and defrag regime which we have deployed across the whole Veeam Estate, however the one thing we do not have is any visible reporting of these 2 events.
The only way to check is to go the the history, pick the right day and then explore the report in the history window.

It would be extremely helpful to be advised that these two essential processes have completed, especially on a failed job as the checks will resume at the next opportunity delaying the next backup.

Not all Customers have Veeam One, so my question is:

How can we be advised that the health checks and defrags have been successful?

Also how often should these be run.
E.g. If I run a Health check for month 1 and 2 do I only need to run defrag and compact in month 3.
Should I run both processes monthly (or weekly, or quarterly, etc)

thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Defrag and Health Check reporting

Post by foggy »

Clive, it seems that there's no other indication than the fact that you do not see any evidence that it failed (i.e. there are no errors/warnings in the job report).

As for your second question, since the two operations pursue different goals, it is recommended that they both are enabled. Typically, default scheduling settings are acceptable.
aich365
Service Provider

Post by aich365 »

Hi Foggy

Thanks for the reply.

How often does the defrag or health check need running.

At the moment I am running them on alternate months

thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Monthly schedule looks good.
aich365
Service Provider

Post by aich365 »

Is there any way to use Veeam Powershell to extract the results of Maintenance of health check?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Apparently, not.
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

[MERGED] How to view result of health check?

Post by Mgamerz »

I have recently turned on health check on certain days for all of our backups (instead of just some of them). Last friday I noticed one was running and was taking a while as it was a large backup, so I left before it could finish. Now that is Monday I am looking through the History and I can't find anything with job type of Health Check nor can I find anything related in the backup job logs.

Is there a way to view the result of the health check?

Edit:
Seems to be part of the job log only, so you have to dig into every log to view it. This is pretty annoying when I had like 20 jobs runs over the weekend because I have to dig into to find it. Though I still can't find the health check entry in any of the last week's logs...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

There's no other way to verify the health check status than to check the job session/report.
aich365
Service Provider

[MERGED] Re: Backup files health checks and defragmentations

Post by aich365 »

We had a Reverse Incremental job with Cloud copy that did not get defragged and the Data was 9-10TB but over a year the backup grew to 16TB

We had to start again as there was insufficient NAS space to defrag/health check.
The Data is now 10 TB and the backup is 8TB and there is free space on the NAS for Defrag.

A concern we have is there is no reporting for Health checks and defrags and the only way to find out if it happened, is to open the job.
Similarly this is the only way to find the time taken

Another issue is we set the Health checks and defrags to run at the weekend but they often start midweek if the weekend job is late.

Some reporting for these two important processes would be appreciated
sykerzner
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: SYK

Post by sykerzner »

Is there already a feature request for this? We're using Veeam's (old) Plug-In for Labtech, and also we have the ServiceProviderConsole, and there don't seem to be any alerting for healthcheck at all.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No requests for Automate and Service Provider Console, but thanks for your FR!
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen » 1 person likes this post

To check ALL backups in Veeam that failed Health Check via PowerShell you can use this.

Code: Select all

Get-VBRBackup | Get-VBRRestorePoint | where {$_.isRecheckCorrupted -eq 'True'} | Select Name, CreationTimeUTc, isRecheckcorrupted, Type