Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Anakha56
Novice
Liked: never

Backing up physical file server

Post by Anakha56 »

Greetings All,

So I will be new to the Veeam world of backups both for my virtual machines, using Backup and Recovery, as well as Veeam Agent for Windows. So basically I am just seeking some advice on what I have planned and the best way to get it achieved.

Some background info on my current backup strategy that I inherited. The process involves Veritas System Image Recovery creating full images to USB drive every night, this process takes on average about 15 hours to complete.

The new plan involves a QNAP NAS, creating a shared folder for the Agent to access and do its backups to and thats where I kind of fall short and get slightly confused with Veeams terms and how to fit that into what I want to do. I am hoping someone can assist me in getting what I have planned in my head correctly thought out so that when the hardware arrives I can just put it into place very quickly.

My ideal plan is something like this: Monday to Friday, Incremental. Saturday or Sunday, Full. Once a week/month the archive is sent to a USB drive for offline storage. My hang up comes in with the full and synthetic backups. Would it be better to have synthetic on weekends and then on the last weekend of the month have a full backup? When creating this backup I will be selecting the "Entire Computer Method".

*edit* Should add this is a small company so part of the inheritance of infrastructure is a DC/File Server all in one system.
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: Backing up physical file server

Post by nitramd »

If I understand correctly, you'll be backing up your data to a NAS. Veeam does not recommend this, especially from a performance perspective; see this link: https://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere ... 25244.html

Have you had a look at Veeam's online documentation. It's quite good: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

I know researching/reading takes time but I think you'll find it valuable.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backing up physical file server

Post by Dima P. »

Are you going to use standalone Veeam Agent for Windows or it's going to work in conjunction with Veeam B&R server?
Monday to Friday, Incremental. Saturday or Sunday, Full. Once a week/month the archive is sent to a USB drive for offline storage.
Sounds good.
Would it be better to have synthetic on weekends and then on the last weekend of the month have a full backup?
Synthetic full is created on a repository from existing incremental restore point while active full 'reads' entire content from production server.
Veeam does not recommend this, especially from a performance perspective
A bit irrelevant, since we are talking about physical backup with agent and that topic is related to VM backup (where you may process multiple VMs within single backup job).