Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Automated Recovery Media creation task?

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

With Windows 10 upgrading every 6 months to effectively a new OS automatically, is there a way to automate the Recovery Media creation? At the moment we are getting caught out as backups with a Recovery Media ISO may not work on a newly upgraded OS.

Is it possible to script using command line and a series of switches? Can I ask that it become a future feature?

Ideally I would like to have Task Scheduler build an Recovery Media ISO and put it into a specific folder. The trigger would be either once a week, or after an OS version change, or even when Veeam Agent detects it is necessary to make a new ISO.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Automated Recovery Media creation task?

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Alex,

Unfortunately it’s not possible, but sounds like a good request. May I ask how you are going to make a bootable media from an iso and what type of media are you going to use? Thanks.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

We open the last backup file and do a file level restore from the support folder (usually C:\Support\Veeam) to the computer it is attached to, then use a program called Rufus to create a bootable flash drive.

The Rufus website:
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Do I have to put in a request somewhere or do you guys do it?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks! Forum post is good enough.
stevem
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve McCandlish

Post by stevem »

Duh! So with each major Windows update (Fall Creator's, etc.) you ought to create new recovery media? Sounds like this should be a "best practice".
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

stevem wrote:Duh! So with each major Windows update (Fall Creator's, etc.) you ought to create new recovery media? Sounds like this should be a "best practice".
Yes, and Veeam Agent will warn you if the system perimeters have changed and encourage you to update the ISO. When dealing with hundreds of machines this is a real hassle.
marcvanl
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Marc Van Laethem

Post by marcvanl »

Dear,

I'd like to add myself to the request for a script to create an unattended Recovery Image ISO file from a server running Veeam Agent for Windows and Linux. Creating these regularly from the GUI is a pain when you have many servers. Can someone comment on when we will have such a script ?

Marc.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Glad to say that it would be possible to initiate RE iso creation via command line starting from the next version. Cheers!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

my 2 cents: Veeam Agent for Linux has a dedicated CLI command to patch recovery media since v1.1

Thanks