Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

VM is no longer processed by this job

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi guys,

We move VMs between Hyper-V Hosts as we upgrade the Hosts and we're getting lots of lines such as this in our nightly backups:

13/09/2018 3:44:33 a.m. :: [VM1] is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional.
13/09/2018 3:44:33 a.m. :: [VM2] is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional.
13/09/2018 3:44:33 a.m. :: [VM3] is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional.
13/09/2018 3:44:33 a.m. :: [VM4] is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional.
13/09/2018 3:44:33 a.m. :: [VM5] is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional.

Is there a way to clear these mentions?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: VM is no longer processed by this job

Post by Mike Resseler »

Alex,

I am assuming that you have some jobs pointed at a host? And by the move those 5 VM's are suddenly not in the original job host anymore but picked up by another job? Is that correct?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Correct :)

We originally had two Hosts, both with VMWare. We killed them both and installed Server 2012 R2 as Hyper-V hypervisors and converted the VMs over. There were originally nine (9) VMs running on this Hyper-V Host #2, now only four (4) after we built a third Hyper-V Host with Server 2016 and moved the five (5) VMs to it. Now the backup job reminds us each time it is run. We will have the same issue again soon as we move the remaining VMs from Hyper-V Host #1 and install Server 2016 as the new hypervisor.

Why upgrade from Server 2012 R2? It's mostly to do with the Configuration Version of the VMs. Only Server 2016 can handle handy things like hot swappable memory allocation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ows-server
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Could you edit the job, rerun through the wizard again and then see if the warnings go away? (I think I remember something around this...)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

These VMs are subject to deleted VMs retention, so warning will go away once it is applied (14 days by default).
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

If you aren't using SCVMM and the Hyper-V hosts are not part of a single failover cluster (with VMs in the cluster as well), then Veeam will not be able to track the VMs as they move across hosts so you have to remove and re-add them to the backup job.
33minutesinheaven
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: -

Post by 33minutesinheaven »

Just fixed this problem because my "remove deleted items data after" setting was not set on the job. So old machines that i deleted years ago were still in there i guess. As per this manual:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100