Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cas
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cristian Aspa

Entire VM restore question

Post by cas »

Hello!

I'm pretty sure this is a newbie question but I just don't get how can I do that and I don't want to mess things up because I'm relatively new in the Veeam world :D

So, the question is, can I do an Entire VM Restore to another location without powering off the original vm in production? I just want to check how much time takes to restore that vm from the backups without affecting the original production vm and the users who are working with.

Thank you :)
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Entire VM restore question

Post by ejenner »

You can isolate it using SureReplica. Or if you have Azure you can restore to the Azure cloud.

Can't help you with step-by-step... but I believe those are a couple of good starting points for further research.

If you have everything set up properly you should have the ability to get to a live VM within a couple of minutes.
driley
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dennis Riley

Post by driley »

Sure, I've done this to create a new VM, but it would work as a test just as well:
I always (1) change the VM name so it does not conflict with the production one (2) put it in a seperate folder and (3) set the network to disconnected initially. Hope that helps.
Dennis
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

- In restore wizard choose "Restore to a new location" option
- Specify different target settings for it (server, folder - whatever)
- Keep VM disconnected from production network
- Uncheck "Power on" checkbox

Following these plan should you keep you safe.

By the way, you might want to try Instant VM Recovery functionality as well (to test the fastest restore possible).

Thanks.
cas
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cristian Aspa

Post by cas »

Hello and thank you for your replies! :)

I can't use SureReplica because we only have Standard Edition of Veeam B&R :(.

I did some Instant Vm Recovery before but I've been told to check the other option just because Instant VM Recovery runs VM directly from the backup files (or that's what I understood reading, correct me if I'm wrong) and we want to know how much time it takes to get the recovered vm registered and fully operational. So, I will follow the plan of Vladimir! :D
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just so you know - even if executed directly from backup file, VM will still be fully operational; but feel free to stick to approach that suites your needs best. Thanks.
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

i like doing a full restore with the network disconnected, bc that will give you a better idea of how long your RTOs are vs just using surebackup to test the functionality of the vm. although, i use surebackup as well.