Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rboynton
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Rick Boynton

Patching VCenter

Post by rboynton »

We are running an older version of VCenter, Update 1b/build 3339083 and want to install the latest version 6 Update 3h/9451619. Two questions:

Will the update break any of the backup jobs in Veeam B&R?
Don't see a VMWare KB on this, but I am assuming we can install the newer VCenter build over the top of the current version. Any thoughts?
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Re: Patching VCenter

Post by bdufour »

if the unique identifiers for the VMS dont change. which i assume they arent - bc youre just updating to the latest version, you will be fine. if this is a fresh install of vcenter and you previously backed up/replicated to another instance of vcenter it will change the unique identifiers and the veeam DB will see them as new vms. this happened to me, going from a windows based vcenter deployment to the appliance. the migration wouldnt work properly and vmware insisted on just deploying the new appliance and migrating the host to the appliance - worked great and was up in less than an hour. BUT veeam didnt like that bc of the UIs. but i managed to sort it out via a cname record in dns mapping the old vcenter server name to the new one - which allowed me to leverage CBT.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Rick,

You should be able to update the said version to the most recent one without redeploying it from scratch.
It shouldn't break any backup jobs, since all VMs morefIDs will be preserved in the database of vCenter, according to the previous experience.
However, the most recent vCenter Version 6.0 Update 3h wasn't tested by our QC team yet. Thanks!
rboynton
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Rick Boynton

Post by rboynton »

OK, thanks. Has Update 3g been QC tested?
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Not yet - Update 3g was released just a few days ago. Usually, we don't specifically test these minor build updates, as they are nothing but roll ups of the existing patches.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

It would be a challenge to properly test all these newer vSphere builds in the situation when they come out faster than the full regression cycle takes on our end ;)
But we do continuously update our QC labs with them, so any major issues will come out regardless.
richardm
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] Any issues with vCenter 6.7d?

Post by richardm »

About to pull the trigger on a 6.7a to 6.7d VCSA upgrade. Any known Veeam issues? Search didn't turn up anything but it never hurts to ask...
flc-np
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nicki

Re: Any issues with vCenter 6.7d?

Post by flc-np »

I am running 6.7d with Veeam Update 3a and I havent seen any issues yet.
DGrinev
Veteran

Re: Any issues with vCenter 6.7d?

Post by DGrinev »

Hey,

In general, there is a low risk to face any issues because of the minor updates like this one, but no guarantees at least for now.
Please review the existing discussion about minor updates of vCenter. Thanks!