Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
einsteinagogo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Hancock

Case # 02034619 - BSOD when performing a Restore to Bare Met

Post by einsteinagogo »

Case # 02034619 - BSOD when performing a Restore to Bare Metal of dissimilar hardware.

We've been using Veeam Endpoint Backup, with no issues up to know, restore (bare metal) to dissimilar hardware.

(e.g. Windows 7, WIndows 8 )

We have a workstation are present, that the Bare Metal Restore restores successfully, and produces a Stop 7E with pcw.sys error, I've ready this on these forums, and was unable to resolve either by renaming pcw.sys which seem to work for some people.

I have also unticked and not use Injected Drivers, BUT I then get a BSOD with a Stop 7B, with an Inaccessible Boot Drive which is to be expected because it has no storage controller driver.

I read there was a fix maybe, but could not see what the fix was ?

Case and Logs uploaded from within Veeam Endpoint Backup.

Andrew
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Case # 02034619 - BSOD when performing a Restore to Bare

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Andrew,

To clarify, were recovery media and backup created on the same machine with the same operating system? Thanks.
kl_rul
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by kl_rul » 1 person likes this post

sorry for reactivating this issue. But we had the same here.And finally we found a solution. (or maybe a workaround!)

We have some touchterminals based on Windows 7 prof. 64 here. And we took backups via veeam. Than we tried to recover the backup on the same machine/same hardware and so on - only for testing purposes. And we had the same behaviour. BSOD stating a faulty pcw.sys. At first we tried to rename the pcw.sys - but that is not the best solution, because after that the taskmanager is not usable anymore. The machine was running, but without taskmanager. so no final solution. We have 2 sorts of this terminals - one sort was bringing bsod the other sort not.

after that we experimented with different drivers, different updates states, different methods injecting drivers or not ... took 2 weeks testing!!!

and finally we got it.
Every time, we made a veeam installation, the installed system was fully patched - all drivers, all needed apps and so on. Then, we took an old usb-stick (by mistake) and booted the machine with it. And the restore worked, and the machine boot up without bsod.
Then we got the trick.
IF we executed the media boot wizard right after installing windows 7 (without additional drivers/applications(except veeam itself)/settings/patches), every boot of any recovered image worked flawlessly without bsod.
So thats the clue.
1. install windows 7 prof. 64
2. install veeam
3. execute media boot wizard
4. Install your applications, patch your system, additional drivers, settings and so on
5. create backup of machine!

I think, Windows Server 2008R2 is affected by the same. Maybe other OSs too.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

kl_rul,

Might be related to incorrect device drivers being collected by recovery media. You can either disabled driver collection during RE creation or, while booted in RE, disable drivers injection under Tools > Load Drivers.
fredywenger
Novice
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Fredy Wenger

Re: Case # 02034619 - BSOD when performing a Restore to Bare Met

Post by fredywenger » 1 person likes this post

I had a similar problem and lost a full day…
Done an image save of a (HP) Win7(replacement machine) (-> worked)
Done a restore of a (HP) (Win10) production machine to the replacement machine (-> worked)
Done a restore of the "original win7 image" to the replacement machine
-> USB death (no mouse and also no keyboard -> not able to login with pw)
Fortunately I had an "old" mouse and keyboard with direct interface (not USB) and then was able to boot with PW
I then have tried to update the driver to the USB host adapter in the HW manager
-> BOD
After that BOD by every boot
Restored the image again with the "old" mouse and keyboard
Fortunately, I found an (HP-)update to the USB host driver that was installable with setup
This - maybe - was caused as I have booted the "replacement machine" ONE time with a boot USB stick that I have created to my win10 production machine (whereby the HW of both machines should be te same)
I' not sure, if this WAS the reason (boot with stick from another machine) - but if so - THIS MUST NOT HAPPEN AND HAVE TO BE CHANGED!
fredywenger
Novice
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Fredy Wenger

Re: Case # 02034619 - BSOD when performing a Restore to Bare Met

Post by fredywenger »

I had intensive contact to this (and other cases) with Veeam support.
The reason for this problem still ist not clear for sure, but I think, I know it.
You can find the results to my evaluation and much more here:
veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/evaluation- ... 55099.html