Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bjdboyer
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bill Boyer

SOBR and VIB/VBK files

Post by bjdboyer »

In a SOBR do the VIB incremental files need to all be in the same extent as the full backup VBK file? Unfortunately I have a customer with a VM that with the full and incrementals has filled up by SOBR extent and I have no way to add more space to the extent. Can I move some of the VIB files to another extend and recan the SOBR? ihave enough room in my SOBR if I can move some of the VIB incrementals to other extent(s).

TIA,
Bill
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: SOBR and VIB/VBK files

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Bill

No, the VIB incremental files don't have to be on the same extent as the full backup VBK file. In fact, there's the dedicated "Performance" placement policy in SOBR that ensures they always go to a different extent from the full backup file. So, it's definitely not a problem for the product.

In theory, what you're planning to do should work just fine, and should be as easy as that. The beauty of file-based backup data storage! But, I'd advice you perform the operation in close contact with our support, as they may know of some known issues or gotchas of such manual rebalancing that I may not be aware of.

And please do update us here if everything worked as expected!

Thanks!
bjdboyer
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bill Boyer

Post by bjdboyer »

I've moved backups for a job between SOBR extents before. i worked out the process with support. Just not individual backup files. sounds like the same process will work.
1. Disable the job. Especially if it's a copy job.
2. move the files from one extent to another. Same directory under BACKUPS. Don't replace the VBM file if it exists already on the target extent.
3. Rescan the SOBR
4. Enable the job.

Having either a utility or the function in the console to be able to re-balance SOBR extents at least by job would be nice. Browse a SOBR extent and select to move a job to another extent. Whether for performance or space.

Bill
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

OK, sounds like you already know all the gotchas yourself ;)
Yes, we're planning to add this functionality down the road.