Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JHuston
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jeff Huston

Simplivity and NBD mode

Post by JHuston »

I'm looking for feedback on other customers using Veeam to protect their VM's running on the Simplivity platform.

We're moving all of our workloads to Simplivity and also use Veeam as to not "put all our eggs in one basket" quite yet for backups.

In testing I noticed that the Simplivity nodes that do not have a Veeam proxy process the VM's in NBD mode. The nodes that do have a Veeam proxy can hot add the disks.

Is that the only requirement to utilize the virtual appliance mode with NFS, to have a proxy on each Simplivity node? If that is the case, can the repository be off the Simplivity cluster while still utilizing the Virtual Appliance mode with a proxy on the Simplivity cluster/node?

Thanks in advance!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Simplivity and NBD mode

Post by Andreas Neufert »

It do not matter where you run the Repository beside connection possible and that you use another storage. To backup data to the production system makes no sense.

Regarding Virtual Appliance Mode, please check this KB entry, there is a configuration described for NFS. I suggest to implement it like this. https://www.veeam.com/kb1681