Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
isaako
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Isaac González

Veeam Agent Linux and backup network

Post by isaako »

Hi,

I've configured a backup network for my physical servers, Veeam VBR and Repository.
I've added the network to Network Traffic Rules -> Networks -> 172.16.100.0/24 and checked "Prefer the following networks for backup and replication traffic".

I've added the Linux Agent via public ip. (dns)
When I run the backup job the traffic flows over the public network and not the backup network.
Is this a normal issue? How is selected the network interface to send the data? How can this be changed?
Should I create another subdomain in my DNS zone for the backup network and add my agent via that domain?

If I add a hosts entry pointing to the private ip and I add the agent via that entry (server-private.backup.domain 172.16.100.X), the traffic flow goes to the private network.
Then I suppose that the ip is determined via how is added to the protection group and the network rules are useless.

Isaac
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam Agent Linux and backup network

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I've added the Linux Agent via public ip. (dns)
Would you clarify this part, please? Did you add the agent machine into the protection group by its name that refers to the public IP, or directly by its public IP?

Thank you
isaako
Service Provider

Post by isaako »

Hi,

I've added the agent to the protection group by its DNS names that resolves to a public ip, and also has an ip address in the private network.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

What about the repository that is a target for the agent? Is it on the VBR server or on a separate machine, and how is it added - via public or private IP? Do you use "managed by agent" or "managed by VBR" mode?

Thanks
isaako
Service Provider

Post by isaako »

The repository is on a different VM, the agent is managed by VBR and the repository is added via public ip. With the traffic rules added, the traffic flow must go via private networks?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

The functionality should work as long as the prioritized IP is available. If a repository cannot be reached via preferred network, the agent will failover to other available networks.

Thanks!
whitmirev
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Trish Whitmire

Post by whitmirev » 2 people like this post

I was wondering if there has been a way developed to force communication out of a secondary NIC to say Linux physical servers. I have a primary NIC used for backup and repication and we added a second NIC, added a static route and am trying to force communication from veeam sevrer to linux physical out of nic 2 so that traffic does not have to corss over the firewall which is a 1gb interface. Internal traffic has 10gb connection. (linux and windows servers are on thier own network but veeam server has a NIC for both.