Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
morty
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Mortier

Is v9.5 u3a an alpha build or is it stable for production use?

Post by morty »

I plan to upgrade vSphere to 6.7 and before that I was wondering if this is a stable build first.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Is v9.5 u3a an alpha build or is it stable for production use?

Post by skrause » 1 person likes this post

Yes it is a stable release.

Veeam does not typically put updates out for general download that are not considered stable and fully supported. The only people who are in their alpha/beta channels are specific targeted customers and partners.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
morty
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Mortier

Post by morty »

Thanks, I was just confused about the "a" in the version. Not sure what it stands for.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Smaller updates that are mostly focused on platform support typically get a character prefix, while major releases increment digit Update 1/2/3/4, etc.

It's stable release that can be safely used in production.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

morty wrote: Sep 19, 2018 6:19 pmThanks, I was just confused about the "a" in the version. Not sure what it stands for.
This was adopted from how VMware labels the new builds each time they reissue one, so that people could distinguish between builds more easily than with 6-digit build numbers. For example, in the past few months we've seen vSphere 6.7, vSphere 6.7a, vSphere 6.7b and so on. They are actually at vSphere 6.7d already, as of today :D

Update 3a is a significant update though, so it should not have used "a" to start with. And at some point, the intention was to call it Update 4. There's a whole story behind that, but basically we were forced to call it Update 3a :)