Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
martin_zidu
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Martin Zidu

Agents 2.2 silent mode

Post by martin_zidu »

Hello guys,

I have one question.

It seems, that since Agent 2.2 there is change in "silent mode" of agent.

I am really not sure now, but I thought, that in version 2.1 Agents were running without tray icon on machines, so users were not able "easily" to stop running jobs and "investigating" new ico...

But now I have realized, that in 2.2 it´s in tray on every machine.

Am I right, that this is differency? Or it was like that even in previous version?

This setup is causing us few issues, that workers are stoping backup jobs on production machines etc.....
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Agents 2.2 silent mode

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Martin,

Sure, Installing Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows in Unattended Mode is fully supported.
Agents were running without tray icon on machines, so users were not able "easily" to stop running jobs
There is no way to hide all the icons or shortcuts but you can enable read only mode (with all settings disabled) via Configuration API. Please keep in mind that configuration API required workstation or server license. another option might be to use Veeam B&R console to manage you agents as all the backup agents are automatically set to ReadOnly mode.
martin_zidu
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Martin Zidu

Post by martin_zidu »

Thanks for an explanation,

I have forgot to mention, that all machines are deployed via VB&R and licensed.

Still users are able to stop running job (not edit setttings of course) and I can swear that with previous agent 2.1 machines were deployed, but tray icon were suspended....not 100% sure...but at least 90% of machines I have checked remotely had tray ico suspended...
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

That's unexpected behavior, since the logic of silent mode didn't change in the 2.2 version.
Please reach out the support team and provide them with the logs, as it's hard to guess what is the root cause. Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

I can swear that with previous agent 2.1 machines were deployed, but tray icon were suspended.
I bet it was just out of the scope of visible tray icons. If this behavior is critical: there is a workaround you can scrip the shutdown of agent tray processed (let's say kill this process right after host is booted). Tray process does not affect the periodic backup, so it's safe to use such hack.

Can you please elaborate what backup job type was used for your managed agents? Thanks!