Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
SKratzTS
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Steve Kratz

Veeam Agent + B&R. Off-site with slow internet?

Post by SKratzTS »

Anyone found a good way to handle this sort of thing? I have a customer with about 450GB of data. It's a DC, File Server, Exchange Server all on one physical box. Their internet... sucks. Upload speed is at best, 3mbps. We take a daily (weekdays) backup from Veeam Agent to a machine running B&R. That part works flawless. The off-site repo copy, however, never gets far enough to complete even a single off-site copy.

Short of doing one backup a week and moving that data throughout the entire week, or finding a different ISP, I'm at a loss. Anyone ever found a way to get around something like this?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent + B&R. Off-site with slow internet?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Steve.

How about taking one single full backup to a usb device, transferring full backup to the main site and then use this backup for mapping? On the VAW side you simply reconfigure the backup job to use Veeam B&R repository instead of USB drive and use forever forward incremental backup mode to transfer only incremental changes.
SKratzTS
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Steve Kratz

Post by SKratzTS »

I >think< I'm basically trying to do that right now, but something's keeping it from getting 100% complete. I took a peek at what I have for data, here's what's there:

On-site B&R Repo has a 533GB initial "full" and chained jobs (30 days worth) of about 25GB additional each day. Local repo is on a 30-day retention.

Off-site, there IS a 493GB file, and a couple of other "chained" files - on approximately 50GB, and one about 25GB. Off-site retention is set at the minimum of 2 backups, since this is for DR purposes only.

So, overall, it looks like it has transferred a big chunk of data - More than I initially thought it was doing (the backup copy job never really seems to get past 25%). Would increasing the off-site retention make file maintenance less intensive? (Wondering if it's spending all that time re-integrating chains into the initial off-site copy).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Steve,
SKratzTS wrote:Would increasing the off-site retention make file maintenance less intensive? (Wondering if it's spending all that time re-integrating chains into the initial off-site copy).
Not really, since the retention operation still needs to be performed regardless of the number of restore points.

Thanks!