Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
virtualwatts
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Rick Watts

Can I restore iSCSI cluster back to an NFS cluster?

Post by virtualwatts »

Our primary site uses iSCSI to non-EMC arrays.
We are changing our DR site to another DC already in-place and running, and that DC uses Celerra/EMC with the new Unisphere.

The EMC tech has recommended using NFS rather than iSCSI.

My question here is if my primary cluster is iSCSI can my DR even be NFS? It's not clear to me how VMware would accomodate such a change in virtual networking. Does the Veeam restore buffer the underlying storage technology by laying down the appropriate files regardless of storage tech?

I'm reading up but if I can buy a vowel.......

Thanks
Rick
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Can I restore iSCSI cluster back to an NFS cluster?

Post by Gostev »

Hi Rick, yes it does not matter, as Veeam is storage agnostic. Personally, I would not recommend using NFS storage though, especially if iSCSI is available. Backup performance is not great with NFS storage, plus it has always been 3rd grade citizen for VMware. It always gets all new features last. Plus, right now in vSphere 4.1 there is an issue making CBT unusable on NFS storage. Thanks.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

To add even more, please be aware of VAAI-Technology is still not implemented with NFS.
Best regards,
Joerg
Martyn
Lurker
Full Name: Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Hi Gostev,

can you elaborate on the issues with using of NFS for the backend storage. My understaing is this is being pushed by storage Vendors (NetApp) and Vmware as a preferred solution.
i am working on a project delivering Veeam as a backup tool into an environment where they are running iSCSI for their backend disk storage. In the midst of this project, they are looking to replace this iSCSI storage with a new NetApp and have the storage provisioned using NFS.
we have the physical server in place for the direct SAN configuration and i would prefer to keep with the physical servers rather than using virtual appliances. Is there any developments due to allow Veeam direct access to the NFS datastores, rather than having to use the network method.

Also, i am guessing that network mode is a viable option for this, even if it isnt as fast as the virtual appliance.

thanks Martyn
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sure Martyn, here you go:
http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1031106

No, we are not working on implementing direct NFS access at this time. We found that NFS is very rarely used as a production storage, at least today and among our customers.

Reportedly, Network option is very slow with NFS storage, so I would not recommend using it. As per FAQ, Virtual Appliance mode is the recommended processing mode with NFS production storage.

Thanks.
Davejr1200
Lurker
Full Name: Dave Johnson

Post by Davejr1200 »

Gostev,

Can you confirm if it is only vSphere 4.1 that suffers from this issue? i.e Does vSphere 4.0 work fine with CBT on NFS?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this issue was introduced with vSphere 4.1 (this is even explained in the actual KB article, see Product Versions bar to the right hand side).