Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Fezanator
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Fred Pelaez

Infrastructure Planning for Veeam O365 with Veeam B&R

Post by Fezanator »

Hello,

I'm looking at deploying both Veeam B&R and O365 backup at the same time, preferably using the same infrastructure. The infrastructure I'll be using are as follows:

* Veeam Backup Server (Virtual): 4 x vCPU and 16 GB memory
* 2 x Veeam Proxy Server (Physical), one for Prod and one for DR each with: 8 or 12 CPU cores (either dual quad or 6 core processors), 32 GB memory
* 1 Gb iSCSI SAN with roughly 40TB storage

This is based on the the best practice guide. If I were to deploy the same physical/ virtual infrastructure for Veeam O365 (and possibly O365 V2), what other infrastructure/ resources do I need to put in place to make this work? Size of my environment (Exchange Online) is as follows:

* 600 GB consumed capacity
* 1,300 mail boxes

Questions in relation to this are:

* Can I run my Veeam Backup for MSO365 server as a virtual machine in my vSphere cluster?
* Can I use the same Veeam Proxy Server used in VBR for Office 365 backup?
* Is the Exchange Explorer another virtual machine?
* I did read somewhere that JetBlue doesn't do dedup but can do compression. If I need to keep 20 copies of my backup onsite, do I just add 12TB of useable capacity (assuming compression is not good) to my SAN storage?

Not sure if this is public information already but will O365 backup V2 use the same JetBlue DB?

Regards,

Fred
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Infrastructure Planning for Veeam O365 with Veeam B&R

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Fred,

First: welcome to the forums!

Let me start with saying that the infrastructure of VBR and VBO are different. The repositories are not the same (VBR works with "flat" files while VBO has a running DB archive as a repository). The proxies have the same name, but they also operate differently. VBO proxies will do the work to connect to O365 and download/ backup the data for the users in the jobs that it manages.

I would suggest you deploy the VBO infrastructure as virtual. One of the advantages is that you can add more resources to it when necessary, but more importantly, that you will be able to use VBR to backup that server also. There is logic in VBR that will recognize it as a VBO server which means you could even do ILR from the VBR console in case it is needed.

For your requirements, I would suggest to start small with the VBO server with one or more repositories attached to it. Start with 200, then 500 and so on mailboxes and maybe you will need to deploy a second VM that will act as a proxy server (Based on the numbers you provide I doubt it, but on the other hand, when SharePoint and OneDrive data comes into play in the future, you might need to scale-out anyway)

The Exchange explorer is just a console and can be installed on the VBO server. But it can also be the one from VBR 9.5 U3, and you can even install it locally on your workstation. Nothing special needed for this one.

About JetBlue: Yes, it doesn't dedupe (running database :-)) but it delivers compression out of the box. You have 600 GB consumed today in O365, so you will not need 12 TB at all. VBO works like this: It backups the data the first time as a full backup. After that, only the changes are protected. Each repository will have a retention setting (default 3 years) which means that each item in your mail account, which is older than 3 years won't be in the backup anymore (a bit different from the retention than VBR). Read this here (as it is important): https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=15

Hope I have answered most questions, if not, let me know

Cheers
Mike
Fezanator
Novice

Post by Fezanator »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. More questions:

* Where/ How do I deploy my Veeam O365 Backup Server?
* With the info you provided, an option for me is to create a LUN with 40++ TB (or multiple LUN's) for VBR mounted to my physical proxy box as my vSphere backup repository and another LUN with possibly a 1 TB LUN (starting point) for VO365 backup mounted to my virtual proxy server as my O365 backup repository. Is this a supported architecture?
* With JetBlue, do I need to run this on SSD to make this run faster (or doesn't matter as it's the network that's going to be a bottleneck anyway)?

Regards,

Fred
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hey Fred.

Deploy a VM in your vSphere infrastructure that is protected by VBR. You can install VBO and VBR on the same server, but as said, when it is virtual, you have the additional advantage of protecting it with VBR as a VM and have that additional copy (3-2-1 rule)

VBO365 has the following requirements for the repository storage:

* Local (internal) folder of the backup server (default target).
* Direct Attached Storage (DAS), connected to the backup server, including external USB/eSATA drives and raw device mapping (RDM) volumes.
* Storage Area Network (SAN); backup server must be connected to the SAN fabric via hardware or virtual HBA, or software iSCSI initiator.
* SMB 3.0 share (experimental support); backup server’s computer account must have corresponding permissions on the network share

It doesn't need to run on SSD. It will make things faster but I wouldn't worry about it when you store it on a LUN on your SAN. What will be slower is the restore, but even that will most probably be limited because as you said, you backup from, and mostly restore to O365 and with the throttling rules, that will be the "bottleneck"

Makes sense?

Mike
Fezanator
Novice

Post by Fezanator »

Makes Sense. Thank Mike
Mandietha
Service Provider
Full Name: Mandi Matthews

Post by Mandietha »

Hi There ,

Apologies in jumping the gun , can you please confirm if veeam backup for O365 intergrates with Cloud Connect ?

I have picked up some documentation on the net but nothing that seems like a proper guide to me.
Any documentation will be highly appreciated.

Also having an issue when trying to add a proxy on veeam backup for O365 intergrates , perhaps thereis a limitation ?
Error : 2018-03-14 10:07:46 AM :: Detect .NET Framework version. Error: .NET Framework is either too old or not installed, installation cannot be continued.
This is a newly deployed proxy and its running .NET Framework 4.5.2.

Thanks you
Mandi
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Mandi,

Are you looking at VBO on the SP side or do you want to backup a tenant's VBO VM to cloud connect?
Mandietha
Service Provider

Post by Mandietha »

Hi Mike ,

Thanks for your response , we will be using the VBO as an SP for Managed services for VBO365.

Is it possible to backup a tenant's VBO VM to cloud connect?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

If you run VBO as a VM you can use all the VBR backup functionalities on it so sending it offsite to Cloud Connect is possible.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Mandietha
Service Provider

Post by Mandietha »

Thats basically what im trying to do but im not coming right.
I have deployed a new VBO VM , installed VBR and VBO365 on it.
I can run a local backup on my O365 org on my VBO server.
Tried to add a new proxy on VBO365 with no luck (error : 2018-03-14 10:07:46 AM :: Detect .NET Framework version. Error: .NET Framework is either too old or not installed, installation cannot be continued.
This is a newly deployed proxy and its running .NET Framework 4.5.2.)

All my servers are on the same domain.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Might be related to what is running on your proxy as OS however I would suggest to open a support case related to the .NET framework error. It may be related due the fact VBO & VBR are on the same server but support will be able to determine the cause.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Mandietha
Service Provider

Post by Mandietha »

Thanks , i have already logged a support case.
hwelvaar
Novice
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Install Backup Office365 on same server as B&R ?

Post by hwelvaar »

Hey all,
Just wanted to know if Veeam Backup for Office 365 v2.0 can be installed on the same server on which there is already a Veeam Backup&Replication v9.5 U3 running ?
(couldn't find info about this in the manual)

If yes, I suppose they need different backup repositories ?

Tnx for your feedback !
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Install Backup Office365 on same server as B&R ?

Post by DGrinev »

Hey,

You can install both products on the same server, but the infrastructure is different.
Please review this thread for additional information. Thanks!
wileywimberly
Service Provider
Full Name: Wiley Wimberly

Post by wileywimberly »

Hi,

In our situation we decided to have a completely separate B&R install dedicated to o365 backup for allowing tenants to do self restores over cloud connect. We have this B&R instance installed on the same vm as the o365 backup server. We also have additional o365 proxy servers to handle the load.

I wanted to keep things separate since the products have such a different architecture at the current time. The use of B&R to provide remote restore capabilities makes sense, but does seem to be a little on the "bolted on" side of things. It would be nice to see B&R and o365 Backup merge into a more unified platform at some point.

I also want to avoid any potential issues where we need to update B&R for one product offering but need to wait because of a version incompatibility with another. As a service provider we also offer our tenants cloud connect offsite repositories and backup of their IaaS workloads. To give us the most flexibility it made sense to keep the o365 setup isolated from our other B&R instances.

Just my 2 cents.

-Wiley