Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

VMs excluded when host not found

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

I am curious to know why Veeam temporarily excludes all the VMs from a job when it can't see the hypervisor. I have seen this a couple times, and I guess curiosity has finally caught a hold of me! Why not fail the job and leave the selection list alone instead?
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: VMs excluded when host not found

Post by csydas »

Hi James,

You're talking about with tags, right? Because when added via proper VMware hierarchy objects, my experience is that Veeam gets unhappy and throws vCenter errors. What kind of set up do you have here and what kind of hypervisor unavailability are you meaning here?
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

I've seen this in the past and in two recent instances. The first recent instance I have no details unfortunately as I was too busy at the time to really blink an eye. But in the other case, I was able to investigate further and found that DNS resolution on the network was having some issues that other engineers were tackling. At the time of backup, Veeam could not resolve the hostname; but the job still ran . Since the source selection list was the host, and the host was unresolvable, Veeam exempted the host from the job. Nothing was backed up. Veeam processed retention, threw a warning, and that was it. Just curious why the design decision to exempt the host and still run the job. I guess, perhaps, if there were other hosts or, as you mentioned, VM tagging on reachable/resolvable sources, then it would have made sense to handle it this way. Personally, I would rather see an error though than "Oh, FYI this VM didn't get backed up because it was exempted. Hope you meant for that to happen" type warning.
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas »

I'd open a support case -- again, just my experience, but any time I've had a host resolution issue, my jobs error, regardless of how they're added. I know that we had some tagging issues for one client, which is why I asked on that.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'd expect an error message as well, please open a case next time you see similar behavior. Thanks!