Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
PankajV
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Pankaj Verma

Veeam agent installation error in SuSe Linux 12

Post by PankajV »

Hi Guys

i am trying to install Veeam agent in SuSe Linux 12 & getting an below error. I have give valid root password but still getting a below error. please advice.

Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to 10.255.242.16 Error: No suitable authentication method found to complete authentication (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
ManOrs
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Manuel Orsatti

Re: Veeam agent installation error in SuSe Linux 12

Post by ManOrs »

Hello,

I'd say the ssh connection is not working?
could you try with "ssh -v" to have more information on where it's failing?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

From the error it seems that your SSH server is not setup to accept "regular" password authentication. It is setup to use ONLY publickey so logging in with a plain password is not possible.

You will need to login to the server via your public key or open up a command line on it and modify the SSH behaviour by using the following line in the SSH configuration (which is not recommended as it is advised to use the 'sudo' command').

Code: Select all

PermitRootLogin yes
If u add the above line, u have to restart the SSH service for it to work.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
PankajV
Enthusiast

Post by PankajV »

Dear vmniels

I added PermitRootLogin yes in ssh_config file & restart the service & server also. but still the issue is same. please check the below error.

9/5/2018 10:56:49 AM Error Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to 10.255.242.19 Error: No suitable authentication method found to complete authentication (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
PankajV
Enthusiast

Post by PankajV »

Support ID :- 01117849
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

SuSE 12 defaults to "Password Authentication no" in the sshd config file. If you want to use a username/password with Veeam, vs a public key, this must be changed to "Password Authentication yes".

It's a little confusing because you can login with a password with other tools, but that's because "keyboard-interactive" still technically allows a password but, instead of tunneling the password over the SSH connection, it uses a challenge/response method instead. The challenge/response method theoretically could ask any number of questions, but in practice commonly just prompts for a password, however, Veeam does not currently support keyboard-interactive, i.e. challenge/response, authentication for SSH connections.

If you set "Password Authentication yes" in the sshd_config file the authentication methods offered will be (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive) and Veeam should be able to connect.

If you don't want to set "Password Authentication yes", because it is a company policy or because you believe it is less secure than keyboard-interactive, the alternative is to use publickey authentication, which Veeam does support, and is certainly more secure than either password based method.
PankajV
Enthusiast

Post by PankajV »

Dear tsightler,

Thanks for you reply.. i tried in both ways.. but its not working...

Password Authentication no
Password Authentication yes
PankajV
Enthusiast

Post by PankajV »

Just to clarify ,

we have this Susu Linux in Physical Machine ( Huawei Server) & also have physical Veeam trial License but still not applied yet in Veeam Server.. to install the Veeam Agent in Linux.. need to apply the License Key first or we can apply later...

already applied for VMware License.. it will overwrite the vmware License or will add Extra.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Thanks for you reply.. i tried in both ways.. but its not working...

Password Authentication no
Password Authentication yes
Are you positive that you have restarted the ssh server service after doing those changes?
also have physical Veeam trial License but still not applied yet in Veeam Server.. to install the Veeam Agent in Linux.. need to apply the License Key first or we can apply later...
In order to manage physical agents from the Veeam Backup & Replication server you need to have Agent license installed on the Backup & Replication server.
already applied for VMware License.. it will overwrite the vmware License or will add Extra.
Licenses for physical agents (VAL and VAW) do not overwrite Veeam VMware licenses, just extra counters are added.

Thanks
PankajV
Enthusiast

Post by PankajV »

Yes Boss i have restarted the ssh server service & even i have restarted the Server also two times

I have tried the following commands.. if i am wrong in below commands.. then please let me know the correct commands pls.

sudo systemctl restart sshd.service
systemctl restart sshd.service

Thanks
Pankaj Verma
PankajV
Enthusiast

Post by PankajV »

Thanks for your help.. & support guys. i managed to get the agent install in suse linux...
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

That's great! Would you share what was the problem, please?

Thanks
PankajV
Enthusiast

Post by PankajV »

Support ID :- 01117849

Dear PTide,

earlier it was not working with Password Authentication yes even after restart the service.. & server restart also...

but this time it works... no idea how... but working... Thanks again..!