ep@exness.com
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eugene Protopopov

Chargeback reporting functionality proposal

Post by ep@exness.com » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
here are my considerations on Charge-back reports:

1.Hardware costs used in the reports are flat, so if I purchased hardware with different cost/configuration or in different time (for example - 5 servers in 2015 at one price, 10 servers - in 2017 at another price), I can only generate several reports based on host groups or other logic. Would be good to have possibility to enter different cost groups.
2.Cost per element which I have to enter as input parameters (vcpu, Gb, etc) can be easily calculated, but it’s not relevant if overall cluster utilization is less than 100% (never happen in reality). So if it’s, let’s say 50%, I either don't show the cost of idle resources, or I have to recalculate element cost each time based on real consumption. The proposal is the following:
- Enter as input parameters total purchase cost of hardware (cluster nodes and storage). For convenience these can be entered once in configuration instead of entering every time upon report generation.
- Then the report may have two options:
a) take exact cost per resource consumption (as it does now) Cost per Gb = hw cost / total volume
b) or spread the cost of the whole hardware proportionally to allocation. I.e. Cost per Gb = hw cost / allocated volume
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Chargeback reporting functionality proposal

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Eugene and welcome to the community!
1. There is an option to set cost of each host and datastore.
Have you used it?
2.Do you mean configuration-based(VM/Host Configuration reports) or Resource Usage chargeback method?
By the way, are you interested in depreciation option or it will over-complicate the reports?
Thanks!
ep@exness.com
Novice

Post by ep@exness.com »

Hello
1. No I was not using this option. Will try it.
2. What depreciation option is about?
Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Depreciation is something I think about for the next versions. For example you bought host 3 years ago for $10k and if depreciation rate per year is 20%, today the cost is $4k.
You mentioned that you have hosts of different age and you want to set appropriate prices.
ep@exness.com
Novice

Post by ep@exness.com »

In fact I am using different approach (discussed that with colleagues from Finance and they confirm it is correct). Depreciation is actually a retroactive charge on books proportional to initial cost divided by depreciation period - normally 3 years. So when I calculate resource cost I use this approach.
ep@exness.com
Novice

Post by ep@exness.com »

I also checked the reports after setting up hosts and datastore cost (your point #1 above). This is not I am looking for as it simply split host costs to VMs in proportion, while I need monthly cost for internal billing. It cannot be built based on purchase price.
Ready to discuss details in person.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Eugene,
Could you describe what options you would like to get from the reports? I.e. if you made them, how would they look like?
I didn't get this part: "I need monthly cost for internal billing"
Thanks!