Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
pkwastavich
Novice
Liked: never

VeeamOne Reports Feature Request

Post by pkwastavich »

Hi!

I have 2 feature requests for Veeam One reports. I had originally opened tickets with support for both of these, but was directed over here because both are working as intended. Believe it was in caseID 03160983

1:

The "Powered Off VMs" report seems to count the time period where a VM or Host isn't added to Veeam One as "powered off time". While Veeam can't know the state of a VM that hasn't yet been added to Veeam, I think it shouldn't count that time period as "offline" time.

For example, estimating times and percentages, if you add a VM or Host to VeeamOne today, then run the "Power Off VMs" report with an interval of 1 week the report will state that your VMs have been offline 99% of the time.

2:

The "Undersized VMs" report doesn't seem account for VMs with dynamic memory. The capacity field looks like it's using assigned memory (or some other value), instead of maximum memory. The report also recommends to increase the memory available to the VM to a value that the VM already has available.

For example the report recommends that we set the RAM for a VM to 2.5 GB when the maximum memory for that VM is already set to 4 GB. The capacity field is 1.96 GB, when it should be 4 GB.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: VeeamOne Reports Feature Request

Post by Shestakov »

Hi and welcome to the community!
What product version are you at? What hyper-visor do you use, vSphere or Hyper-V?
The reason I ask is we made some changes in later versions of Uptime reports and Undersized/Oversized VMs reports use slightly different logic in Hyper-V and vSphere.
Thanks!
pkwastavich
Novice

Post by pkwastavich »

We're running Hyper-V on 2012 R2. Product version is VeeamOne 9.5.0.3801
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Sorry for the late reply, we are pretty busy with beta 2 release these days.

1. Indeed the report counts uptime using heartbeat metric and then calculates percentage of uptime from the defined interval. So if VM didn't exist it was "powered off". We will take your request into account since it makes sense. We have VM uptime and Host Uptime reports which show downtime in minutes/seconds.

2. The report logic is:
a) Take peak memory demand (20-sec values are aggregated to 5-minute value)
b) add 25% of buffer to this value
c) compare with the assigned memory. If it's dynamic, compare with the upper bound.
d) If existing assigned memory is higher, VM is not undersized. Otherwise it is oversized, recommended value is the one got on "step b".
the report recommends that we set the RAM for a VM to 2.5 GB when the maximum memory for that VM is already set to 4 GB
This looks strange. I'll ask QA team to double-test the report.
Thanks!
pkwastavich
Novice

Post by pkwastavich »

No worries - Thanks for the reply! Let me know if you need any more info from my end.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Not much. You can check the mentioned VM uptime and Host Uptime reports and say if you like the idea to provide the natural time VM/host was off and online.
pkwastavich
Novice

Post by pkwastavich »

VM uptime is useful. I added that one to our scheduled reports. Doesn't quite replace the 'Powered Off VMs' report though.

I wasn't able to find Host Uptime. Looking at the help page for that report, it's in the VMware Monitoring section, so maybe it's a VMware only report? https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/r ... tml?ver=95
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Good to know you like the idea.
And you are right, Host Uptime report is currently available for vSphere only, however we will add it in the upcoming release.
Thanks!