Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
kl_rul
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Feature Request: Tape proxy for caching data

Post by kl_rul »

Hey,

maybe I missed it somewhere (hopefully not), but is it possible to cache the tape content on the tape proxy, before it's written to the tape itself?

Situation:
We have 2 backupservers, one on site and the other in the remote site. The tape library is connected at the remote backupserver. I run tape jobs now from 1st backupserver to the 2nd one, to place directly on tape. We are connected with 850Mbit between the servers. So backupspeed is comparable slow to possible speed of the tape unit. And it's not healthy for the tape unit - waiting for data, writing, waiting for data, writing...

And there are some other jobs, which transfer through the site2site-link and reduce the line speed too. (storage replikation, copy jobs of veeambackups)

so, is it possible to cache an amount of the tape on the remote backupserver, that it allows to write the full tape at once?
LTO6 = 2,5TB (160MB/sec)
linespeed ~ 0,5Gbit/sec (50MB/sec)
cache? ~ 1,5TB.
So the tapejob can start, when cache is full, and start writing the tape. And during the writeprocess, the cache refills continuously.

regards

kl_rul
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Feature Request: Tape proxy for caching data

Post by csydas »

Hey kl_rul (king K. Rool is how I want to read it :) )

I think you need to make a Backup Copy to the remote site first, then do a Tape Job from the Backup Copies. As long as the Tape Server and the Backup Copy Repository share the same server, it will negate the need to move data around servers.

I don't think Veeam has a way to accomplish what you're looking for currently otherwise though, but happy to be proven wrong.