PowerShell script exchange
lrhazi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mohamed Lrhazi

Access to DB log backups files?

Post by lrhazi »

Is there a way to get a copy of the available log backups that Veeam is taking as part of the continuous backup of archived logs for Oracle/SQL Server databases?
The docs say these files are stored with the image based backup, in a proprietary file format.

Thanks a lot,
Mohamed.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Access to DB log backups files?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mohamed.

Are you referring to transaction log backup? If yes, please check this thread, thank you.
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

Thank you so much! I see how I could find info about the transaction logs from that thread.. but not sure how to go about actually retrieving those files.. Is there way?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Mohamed,

When saying retrieve these files what do you mean? Transaction log backup is stored as a regular file inside Veeam repository where you keep the primary VM backup.
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

In the actual repository, I only see Veeam proprietary files, like .vlb .vbm .vom files... Not Oracle DB archive log files.

Do I need to call Start-VBRWindowsFileRestore or similar to get the files mounted?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mohamed.

Veeam B&R stores transaction log backup in proprietary format - .vlb. Check for all available Oracle Restore cmdlets here - Oracle Restore, and specially related to Oracle database restore. Hope it helps.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just our of curiosity - what's the idea behind copying logs to different location? Without parent backup (VM backup) those files are useless, as you won't be able to perform any type of restore. Thanks.
lrhazi
Enthusiast

Post by lrhazi »

Hello,

I am writing a script to perform a daily "refresh" of database in a test VM, from the production VM.

The script starts off by copying all the db data files from last night's backup, to the target data folder on the test VM.
But in order for our DBA's script to restore the db, with the new data files, they need the log files that were created during and shortly after, the db was backuped up.

Our current work around is to copy the log files directly for the prod VM... but it would be nice to get them from Veeam, since Veeam does back them up every 30 minutes..

I still could not figure this one out... How do I get hold of the log files that Veeam backs up? I know they are stored "along side" the VM's backup files... but is there an API to ask for them back?