Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kingsize
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: King Size

1 full backup and thats it

Post by kingsize »

Hi,

I would love to know how to make 1 full backup on every external drive and thats it. I already have a case with support. They did add a powershell script. It will run automatically every day through task scheduler. It will perform a full backup.

I just checked and I have more then 1 full backup right now on my external disk. That is not what I want. I want 1 backup only. It should start and remove the older full backup and makes a new full backup.

I am using 5 external disks. Every day another external disk.

Maybe someone can let me know if there is any other trick that suits my needs with VEEAM? I am not a fan with powershell and task scheduler. Would love to have this configured through VEAAM software itself.

Thank you.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: 1 full backup and thats it

Post by Rick.Vanover »

5x Rotating Media?

Without PowerShell - I'd suggest the following:

-Define the USB Drive as a rotating media
-Set the backup job to keep 2 restore points (BTW - it will never happen - it will only have full backup ->> Unless you forget to remove the disk)
-Schedule it for daily backup time
-Configure the backup job as reverse incremental (I think that will work with rotating drives, but this makes the backup a full backup last run)

As you remove the USB and replace with another, it will start the next day with a need for a full backup as the previous restore point is gone.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: 1 full backup and thats it

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Here is the user guide page on how to do point 1 from Rick's post: Adding Backup Repositories with Rotated Drives