Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Audit logging, history etc

Post by lando_uk »

Hi

I've been tasked to make our audit logging better.

The Bad vCenter username logon attempt alarm is good, but how do I get a list of all bad attempts in the last 6 months? (edit, ok I found the report)

Also, trawling through vcenter logs is a pain, can I create custom alarm (informational) for normal user logons? (maybe excluding known service logons like Veeam)

I believe this kind of audit logging could be a new feature for One in the future. Imagine having access to an easy to read, audit of actions that a certain user did on a certain day. "show me what Jim did that screwed up cluster x on Friday?" Maybe it wouldn't hold all that info in its VONE database, you could run a query on demand against the vcenter DB.

Cheers
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Audit logging, history etc

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mark,
you can create alarm on any vSphere event as Veeam ONE collects them all. You can either find an event under Tasks&Events tab right-click on it and create the alarm or find the event name and create an alarm from the scratch.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

lando_uk wrote:"show me what Jim did that screwed up cluster x on Friday?"
You can use this report to track down what Jim did last summer :) > Infrastructure Changes Audit
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

Its been years since i setup VONE, where do I set the log retention times? Im getting 6 months worth of charts, but i'm not sure i'm seeing that retention on alarms.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

You can set retention for which performance data and events must be stored in the Veeam ONE database. Alarms trigger on fly once event happens.
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk » 1 person likes this post

Vitaliy S. wrote: Sep 26, 2018 12:10 pm You can use this report to track down what Jim did last summer :) > Infrastructure Changes Audit
Perfect, I just ran this report, they will be happy with this.

I'm going to run this every time i come back from holiday in future, see what mischief people have been getting up to!