Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
bekermoui
Lurker
Liked: never

How to restore Active Directory VM as test server ?

Post by bekermoui »

Hello

I'm trying to restore the backup of one of my AD servers to an isolated network for testing purposes. The restoration is done correctly whatever the option chosen (surebackup, restoration to another location). In any case after restoration I get the following error when I try to create an active directory object: "the Directory Service was unable to allocate a relative identifier"

Has anyone ever managed to operate on this scenario? Any suggestion about it?

Thanks
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: How to restore Active Directory VM as test server ?

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Is that one DC of the many roles in the forest? Ideally for a full test, all DCs would be restored in the virtual lab. This message I think indicates some sort of role seizure in the domain. There are steps:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... irectory-s

But that's more work than you'd like for a domain controller.

Another option is make a RODC for testing only, that may work isolated without the rest of the roles.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Rick is correct. It seems that you are trying a restore but the RID is not contactable. Check which AD has what roles.
bekermoui
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by bekermoui »

Hello,

Having forgotten to read the forum rules before posting, so I opened a ticket about this problem. The veeam support replied the same thing to me. So I followed the article's recommendations by restoring a second active directory server. After forcing the synchronization between both, I was able to remove one and keep the other for testing.

For information the server I restored has all the fsmo roles. Obviously this is not enough....

So thanks to the reactivity of the support and the forum community.