Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
albertwt
Veteran
Liked: 46 times

The reasons to use Veeam Office 365 backup to OnPremise ?

Post by albertwt »

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone here can share some good use case or scenario where backing up the Office 365 email back to OnPremise again ?

In the past month, I've already migrated my OnPremise Exchange server mailboxes to the Office 365 and now I wanted to know, how to justify the management team the reason to back it down here to OnPremise again from the cloud.

The software that I will be testing is Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 https://www.veeam.com/backup-microsoft- ... icing.html

Thanks in advance.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: The reasons to use Veeam Office 365 backup to OnPremise

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Albertwt,

There are a few reasons why you want to do that:

1. Microsoft does provide some sort of backup and is presenting you with an SLA to keep everything up and running, but:
* It doesn't save you from accidental deletion (both from the user side or an administrator mistake)
* Or even worse: an angry admin who goes in and starts deleting users.
* Hackers or malware (even ransomware which has happened already once on the O365 service
2. It still remains your data and you are responsible for it.
* While Microsoft hosts it, if something happens and you need to prove things legally but you can't, then you won't be able to blame MSFT. So it remains an insurance
3. You can do eDiscovery on those backups and export/ restore/ save...
* Maybe you are familiar with our Veeam explorer for Exchange technology, which we continue to improve. Now you will be able to do all those searches on your backup. You can even view headers now in case something bad came in.
4. Soon it will be even more important
* At least if you start using OneDrive for Business and/ or SharePoint Online which will be included in the next version
* I'm sure you can understand that users will make more mistakes in those (as in: let's delete some files we don't need anymore or similar :-))
5. When you stop with O365, it literally stops.
* But you will still have the data and the possibility to export/ restore (even to on-prem or to another O365 tenant)
6. 3-2-1 rule
If you run the O365 solution as a VM, you can then protect that VM with VBR (and send it to another location/ cloud/ tape...) and comply with the 3-2-1 rule

Those are just a few reasons that I would use. But I also would like to tell you that it might not be necessary to bring it back on-prem. We have customers who run this as an IaaS instance in either Azure or Amazon or Google or whatever cloud and we are having service providers also who offer this as a service so you can rent the backup from them.

Hope it helps a bit
Mike
MCH_helferlein
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Peter Helfer

Post by MCH_helferlein »

Hi Mike.

Is there already a timeframe when the new version comes out that includes OneDrive and SharepointOnline?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Not an exact one. I expect H1 of this year
puran
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: puran

Re: The reasons to use Veeam Office 365 backup to OnPremise ?

Post by puran »

Another way to backup Office 365 to OnPremise is using SysTools Office 365 Backup Solution. Here is what Office 365 experts think about this utility.