Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
krismason
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Kris Mason

V8 Replication Job question - Metadata move

Post by krismason »

Hi All,

Can anyone please help me to understand how to move my replication from its current location to somewhere new without breaking my replication?

Cheers

Kris
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: V8 Replication Job question - Metadata move

Post by foggy »

Kris, what you'd like to actually move? Target replicas to some other host?
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Post by pkelly_sts »

I was actually about to post a similar question (but thought I'd do a quick search first), but more specifically I only want to move my replica metadata location.

I have a replication job that replicates from a backup copy on the remote site to a VMware infrastructure on that site, but after a bunch of changes etc. it turns out that the metadata folder is on the same repository as the backup copy. I assume this isn't ideal from a performance perspective so I'd like to know if I need to do anything special JUST to move the metadata location to another repository (on different physical disks) or can I simply move them & reconfigure the replication job to point the metatdata to the new repository/
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

pkelly_sts wrote:...can I simply move them & reconfigure the replication job to point the metatdata to the new repository/
Simply moving the folder will work.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Ah, thanks for the pointer, I wouldn't have thought of doing a rescan after moving so that's probably saved me hours of replication time next run...

However, something else has just occurred to me. As I said, I'm replicating to the DR site from a backup copy that also sits in the DR site. At the time it made sense to me for the metadata location to also be in the DR site as that's where all the data is, and nothing is touching the original VMs in this job.

Is this correct or should I actually still have the metadata folder in the source site? If the later, then presumably it'll still save me hours of re-creating hashes if I copy/move the metadata folder to a repository on the source site instead?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Metadata should be stored closer to the source, which is, in case of replicating from backup, backup copy job target repository.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Ah excellent, thanks for confirmation.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

[MERGED] Moving Replica job Metadata location

Post by pkelly_sts »

I'm having a tidy-up & rationalisation of repos and want to move the Metadata location for a long-used replica job to another repository.

Can/should I move the metadata itself after re-pointing or am I best to let it re-create, and if so, how detrimental to job run-time would that be? In other words, will it have to scan all blocks to re-create the metadata etc. which would result in a long run-time for the next replication pass?

FWIW VB&R server is on site A, original VMs being replicated are on site A, but I'm replicating from backup copy data on site B to VMFS on site B (if that makes a difference).

Any suggestions appreciated...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Paul, seems you did this once already. ;) Yes, simply copying/re-pointing jobs should work.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts » 1 person likes this post

LOL! Thanks foggy, I did search first - honest! :-D