Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Shawn Nix

PST ownership for exported PST files

Post by ShawnKPERS »

I recently used Exchange Explorer to export all the mailboxes from multiple mailbox databases using the export "All Stores" function. I did this for a migration to a third party solution that will ingest the PST files and make them searchable. But before I send them the PST files they wanted to know:

"Is PST Ownership Required?" and if so, what naming scheme was used? SAMAccount or SMTPAddress?

I am having trouble verifying what PST ownership really means and if it was applied to the exported PST files during the export process. Any help would be appreciated in determining answers to these questions.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: PST ownership for exported PST files

Post by foggy »

Hi Shawn, Veeam Explorer for Exchange doesn't do anything specific with PST ownership. By default, it is assigned to someone who creates the PST file. That said, may I ask you about the purpose of this migration? Are you aware that Veeam Explorer for Exchange also allows searching within backups?
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Shawn Nix

Post by ShawnKPERS »

Thank you, that I think answers my question. As for the migration and searching I left out some details. We needed a way to search across all our email from every backup we have going back two years. I look into the built in searching and it didn't meet our requirements for this situation as it is for eDiscovery.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Understood, thanks for clarification.