Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Adding a new ESXi node and waiting for the license

Post by marius roma »

I need to add a new ESXi node to the existing vSphere 5.5 infrastructure with a Veeam B&R 9.5 server.
For administrative reasons the Veeam license have been ordered but will be available only few days later.
What can we do in order to avoind any backup problem while the number of licenses does not cover the new ESXi host?
Can I simply migtrate to the new host only some VMs that are not managed by Veeam B&R?
Can I simply duisable the Veeam jobs managing VMs that are moved to the new host?
Can I simply avoid adding the new ESXi host to the Veeam console and go on working like if it does not exist?
Can I use any kind of grace period?
Should I do anything else to let the Veeam jobs go on while waiting for the license key?
Regards
marius
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Adding a new ESXi node and waiting for the license

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mario, there will be no issues provided no VMs residing on the new host are processed by Veeam B&R backup/replication jobs. So select any option that would ensure that and is applicable - either of the first two will work. Thanks!
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

Many thanks.
Let me ask for a further information: while waiting for the license file, can I move a veeam proxy on the new (temporarely unlicensed) node?
Regards
Marius
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yes, that's not prohibited.