Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
Robin.g
Novice
Liked: never

How to connect directly a VCenter/ESXi to a VEEAM Collector ?

Post by Robin.g »

Hi VEEAM guys,

I have an issue on my company network that could interest you.

My SCOM server does not have the possibility to connect to VCenter/ESXi throught 443 (Security Policy).
So i had a collector to my SCOM gateway, this gateway has the possibility to connect to our VCenter/ESXi throught 443.

But with this configuration i cannot connect the VCenter/ESXi to my collector, when i had those servers on the VEEAM UI, it always try to connect trought the VES (SCOM Server).

Is it possible to connect a VCenter/ESXi server directly on a collector ?

Robin
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: How to connect directly a VCenter/ESXi to a VEEAM Collector ?

Post by wishr »

Hi Robin.g,

Could you please let us know what is exactly the case? I mean is it prohibited to use 443 port for connecting to your vCenter, or it is prohibited to open port 443 on your SCOM server where the collector has been originally installed?

Also, please let us know how the Veeam MP components are installed. For example, where your VES instance is installed, etc. We appreciate any additional information!

Thank you.
Robin.g
Novice

Post by Robin.g »

Hi wishr,

It's prohibited to open the 443 from the SCOM servers to the Vcenter Zone.

I will do an exemple below.

Zone 1
SCOM Server (VES + VES UI + Collector)

Zone 2
SCOM Gateway (Collector)

Zone 3
ESXi / Vcenter

The Zone 1 cannot access directly to Zone 3 with 443
The Zone 2 can access to the Zone 3 with 443

When i try to add a new ESXi from the zone 3 in the VEEAM UI. The VEEAM MP try a connection 443 from the SCOM Server but i prohibited (Zone 1).
Is it possible to initiate this 443 connection directly from the Collector on the SCOM Gateway (Zone 2) to add my ESXi in the VEEAM MP ?
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Robin,

By default, both VES and Veeam Collector require access to vCenter via port 443. Also, VES requires several SCOM libraries to be present on a server hosting VES - these libraries are a part of a SCOM Management Server and SCOM Console. If it is impossible to have a SCOM Management server in the Zone Two, we recommend you to deploy SCOM Console in the Zone Two and then also deploy VES and Veeam Collector there (those can be deployed right on the SCOM Gateway Server or separately). This should help you to add the vCenter to the monitoring in your environment.

Please note, that you'll require a specific VES bundle that allows deployment on a server missing SCOM Management Server component. This bundle is obtainable from our support team and will allow installing VES components on a server that does not have SCOM Management Server component. Once installed, you'll require to update it to the latest version according to our guideline if the latest updates such as TLS 1.2 support are required.

Also, it's worth mentioning that without access to SDK some functionality will be limited (since we do not support SCOM Gateways officially yet, but some of our customers utilize the aforementioned setup). To name a few, Collectors Auto-deployment and Maintenance Mode features won't work in this setup.

Ideally, we would recommend to open port 443 for the Zone One or deploy a SCOM Management Server in the Zone Two and install a normal VES and Collector there.

BR,
Fedor
Robin.g
Novice

Post by Robin.g »

Hi Fedor,

We are contacting the support to get the specific Bundle.

Thanks a lot for your reply and your advises.

Do you think this feature will be added in a next update ?

Regards.

Robin
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Robin,

Glad to see you consider the suggestion to be useful.

Speaking about the future of the SCOM Gateway support, I'm not able to share any details or ETA yet, but I'm definitely able to say that this is one of the things we are working on. So please stay tuned!

Regards,
Fedor