Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Anakha56
Novice
Liked: never

Understanding Veeam Agent Backups: Does this look correct?

Post by Anakha56 »

Hello All,

So I am new to the world of Veeam but from what I have read and seen it is better than what I am used when compared to Symantec/Veritas products. My difficulty is understanding how the backups works to achieve my goal at the end. What I am wanting to achieve is a Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Yearly setup where once a week/month/year a copy is stored on USB drives named after the interval. The backups will be going to a NAS drive and yes I am well aware that it is not the preferred storage medium but when you are a small business you make do with what you can afford.

My understanding of Veeam is that if I specify 7 days of retention points Monday to Saturday it will do retention point backups and then on every Sunday of the week a full backup will then take all retention points into one full backup and then removing the old retention points ready to start again on Monday. Is this correct? If it is correct then every Monday I could then copy the last full backup to USB for offline storage for Weekly. Then the first new Monday of every month I do the same thing for Monthly. Then for Yearly the first available full active, be it manual or scheduled.

Should I rather be looking to making synthetic weekly backups on a Saturday with a full active backup every first Sunday of the month? Reading the KB articles is helpful but I find it easier to understand if I have an active discussion :).
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Understanding Veeam Agent Backups: Does this look correct?

Post by PTide »

Hi,
My understanding of Veeam is that if I specify 7 days of retention points Monday to Saturday it will do retention point backups and then on every Sunday of the week a full backup will then take all retention points into one full backup and then removing the old retention points ready to start again on Monday.
No. it works differently. In your case it will keep creating increments until there are 7 restore points after Sunday full. Then the trailing tail of older backups will be deleted, leaving you with the most recent 7 restore points insteead of 13.
Please check this article.. Please keep in mind, that for the purpose of keepin Weekly/Monthly/Yearly backups it might be more convenient to integrate VAW with VBR and use Backup Copy Job in GFS mode.

Thank you
Anakha56
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Anakha56 »

Sadly we cant afford to buy perpetual full license of VBR at this stage and at this site I do not have any virtual machines. I do have a 5 X Subscription pack where three of the 5 licenses will be used in another office in a different part of the country. If I could use one of those licenses from the subscription pack then I will be good but I don't think that will be allowed as per the license agreement? I say that because these are subscription licenses per VM.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Sadly we cant afford to buy perpetual full license of VBR at this stage and at this site I do not have any virtual machines.
You don't have to buy a full blown VBR license, just Agent license will be enough. All you have to do is to install it on VBR server to be turn on various VBR features. Regarding the usage of the licenses from the subscription pack - that should work too, however VM license does not allow to manage agents from VBR or use them in any mode other than Free. If you ok with that then you should contact you sales representative and ask them to clarify whether or not you can use one license form the pack.

Thanks!