Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Daniel N.
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

License for Admin, Backup User or DiscoveryMailbox?

Post by Daniel N. »

Two weeks ago we installed the community edition (cause we misinterpreted the licensing FAQ) and now we want to properly license the product. We have 30 employees and user accounts.

Aside from that Veeam shows us in the user selection dialog another 11 users:
- Global Admin
- Role Admin 1
- Role Admin 2
- Backup User
- Discovery Mailbox
- external user 1
- external user 2
- shared mailbox 1
- shared mailbox 2
- shared mailbox 3
- shared mailbox 4

The FAQ says that external users don't have to be licensed, but I want to make sure that this is indeed the case even if Veeam shows me the users in the configuration dialog.

How do shared mailbox users count? They are free in Office 365 and unlicensed, because they can only be accessed by licensed users. What about Veeam?

What about the admin users? They are only for administrative purposes - as is the backup user, that is used by veeam.

Naturally, I would exclude all of the above from the backup, with the exception of the shared mailboxes. Am I right in the understanding, that with those exceptions done, we do NOT have to license the users listed above to have the entire organization backed up?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: License for Admin, Backup User or DiscoveryMailbox?

Post by Mike Resseler »

That is indeed correct. And the shared mailboxes, they can be protected for free (and the discovery mailbox also...)
PS: Make sure you install the latest KB to get the licensing completely correct. There was an issue in the GA version that counted the discovery mailbox also which it shouldn't: https://www.veeam.com/kb2765