Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
cdlane
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Chris Lane

Can Veeam backup SQLite...

Post by cdlane »

Hi All,

We run a product called Adaxes made by Softerra and I had cause to roll the VM running the software back to the previous night. This resulted in the Adaxes SQLite and associated logs being very broken and I have just had a fun weekend putting it back together.

For now I'll have to create a scheduled task to back up the application using their inbuilt tool which in turn is just backed up by Veeam as part of the file system...hardly convenient though.

Anybody out there with any pointers please?
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Can Veeam backup SQLite...

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi there cdlane! We don't have an integrated solution for Adaxes (like the Veeam Explorer for SQL). My recommendation is to maybe find a way to manually quiesce the application with a script that would be run at the start of the backup.

A broader recommendation is to do SureBackup - and in the SureBackup step, put in something that you could verify the application restores OK.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Chris,

SQLite is not vss aware. So you need to work with it just like any other non-vss aware clients. As Rick says, look for scripts that you can perform just before and after the backup to get your SQLite DB in a consistent state. What you do at this point in time is actually the same as pulling the plug from the server while it is running (so you are actually in danger of that also.). It is basically only a crash-consistent backup.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Mike's point above is a good re-iteration for SureBackup....
cdlane
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Chris Lane

Post by cdlane »

Many thanks Chaps, before and after scripts in place to stop/start the relevant services etc.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Chris,
Yes, and some (but please ask SQLite experts) will prefer to even do additional commands on the database to have it in a specific state as a backup file, and then start everything again.
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

Post by evilaedmin »

cdlane wrote: Sep 24, 2018 1:17 pm I had cause to roll the VM running the software back to the previous night. This resulted in the Adaxes SQLite and associated logs being very broken and I have just had a fun weekend putting it back together.
Hi cdlane,
This is perhaps a derailment of your question but SQLite should be durable in the face of crash consistency, Dr. Hipp has much documentation about its design and implementation. Is it possible your vendor's application is somehow disabling built in protections? Link: https://www.sqlite.org/howtocorrupt.html