Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BjornOKK
Influencer
Liked: never

Does veeam offer anyway to replicate backup sets?

Post by BjornOKK »

Hello

I have a scenario where I want to use Veeam for backup to a local NAS. Then I want to replicate the backup to a remote site over a 25mbit wan link.
I could do backups twice, however I want the backup to impact production enviroment as little as possible,so I was wondering if there is a way to replicate the backup set to our remote site directly from the backup files instead from the production servers.

Since it is a large amount of data (about 2,5TB) i also need the change block tracking feature(or something similar) to be able to transfer it over the 25mbit wan link on daily basis. I have the option to upgrade this link to max 50mbit if that is required

Any feedback on how to best solve this would be greatly appreciated
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Re: Does veeam offer anyway to replicate backup sets?

Post by Yuki »

Your NAS may have this feature already - RSYNC (or other types of replication) where it only sends the differences and not entire files. However, replicating even incremental backups made from 2.5TB base may be problematic.
BjornOKK
Influencer

Post by BjornOKK »

yeah, you are right, I have a QNAP Nas wich have rsync. But I've never used it before, so I'm not sure how efficiant it is compared with the veeam block tracking system.

I am currently doing some tests with some smaller backup files. I need daily backup of about half the data (1,3TB userdata) and weekly of the other half(other virtual machines with more staic data)

Anyone have an opinion on what works best, use the rsync within the NAS, or just do two different backup jobs with veeam? Going to test it too, but sadly such vast amount of data takes a lot of time to do tests on. Especially when I have a older backup solution running at the same time (going to remove this when the new veeam solution works as it should)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Most efficient would be to have 2 backup jobs, and use Linux server as a target for the second job going over WAN. Using Linux target will enable offsite agent (if you need more info on that, just search this forum). Obviously, your 2nd NAS should be mounted to your target Linux server via NFS mount, and you just select this location to store backup files in. Thanks.
BjornOKK
Influencer

Post by BjornOKK »

Ok. Thanks alot for the reply.I might look into that

Another idea I have is to have a ESX host at the remote site, and simply run replication jobs to that host.

Will replication of my 2,5TB of VMs work over a 25 (or 50) mbit WAN link as well as a normal backup? Does it use the same changed block tracking?
Would you reccomend this setup instead of a normal backup? (the point of this backup is to have a site up and running asap in case of total disaster on the main site)

Also,in this case, will I need an additional veeam license for the remote target ESX server, or do you only need licenses for the source ESX servers?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Replication to "fat" ESX would be absolutely equivivalent to backing over to remote Linux in terms of architecture. Not so different from backup, the only drawback is that it requires much more storage on target obviously, as replicas are not compressed/dedupe. On the other hand, it provides better RTO of course.

Impossible to say if your link is sufficient, depends solely on sheer volume of disk change that would need to be replicated over daily. You need to experiment on live VMs to find out.

We only license source hosts.
BjornOKK
Influencer

Post by BjornOKK »

Ok, thanks again for replying.

The additional storage requirement isnt a big issue, since we dont need any rollback points on the remote site, those we will keep at the main site.

How does veeam handle a potential disaster while the replication job is running? will the replica be corrupt, or will the last good replica still function ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

There are existing topics answering this question in great details. Please search this forum.