Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
milfner
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

How do i use iSCSI in Veeam?

Post by milfner » 1 person likes this post

I am using Veeam backup and replication software in a SMB environment. We are using Veeam in the Network Processing Model with the backup destination being a Iomega NAS which supports iSCSI. I have enabled iSCSI on the NAS. What do i have to do in Veeam to be able to use iSCSCI to its full potential.

Regards.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How do i use iSCSI in Veeam?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You need to make sure that your backup server can reach the iSCSI target. I guess you can try using iSCSI initiator to present this NAS device to the windows machine. On doing this, you would be able to choose this box as a local volume for the destination target.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Just wanted to add that sticky FAQ has a link to the article which provides step-by-step on attaching iSCSI storage to a Windows server. Seems like exactly what you are looking for. Thanks.
milfner
Influencer

Post by milfner »

@Gostev, i took a look at the FAQ page, there is a bunch of references to iSCSI, most also relating to SAN, which i dont think applies to me? can you please provide me the link to the article you are referring to.

Thanks.
milfner
Influencer

Post by milfner »

Vitaliy S. wrote:You need to make sure that your backup server can reach the iSCSI target. I guess you can try using iSCSI initiator to present this NAS device to the windows machine. On doing this, you would be able to choose this box as a local volume for the destination target.
On the machine running Veeam, i ran the iSCSI initiator, it found the NAS target and is now "connected". Is this all i need to do??
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, I am referring to step-by-step guide on connecting iSCSI SAN. This fully applies to your NAS. But looks like you have it configured already anyway :D
milfner
Influencer

Post by milfner »

if you are referring to the following;
Q: I have never configured Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator, settings seem too complex.
A: See the following step-by-step guide: The Mission Manual Part 1: Veeam B & R Direct SAN Backups (courtesy of Justin Paul)
it is a dead link in the FAQ page.

more info please.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

What do you mean by dead link? I just clicked, it works fine. The corresponding article is still there, blog is up and running.
milfner
Influencer

Post by milfner »

hmm. it isnt for me. not too worry, i sorted it out now anyway. thanks for your help.
milfner
Influencer

Post by milfner »

i saw the volume in disk manager was there but it wasnt initialized and had no driver letter, so i deleted it and created a new volume, formatted it with NTFS and assigned a new drive letter etc. is this incorrect?? is it not meant to be NTFS file system, is it meant to be VMFS? i am not sure.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

If this is VMFS volume, then you essentially lost all data from it by doing what you did. You should not do this. I hope you already have backups made.
milfner
Influencer

Post by milfner »

This is a newly created LUN i made on a NAS which is intended for storing future backups of veeam (once i get it actually working), all our virtual infrastructure is being ran on local SAS hard disks on a server. This iscsci sceanrio im trying to get going is to house the backup destination, there was nothing on this iscsi disk.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, above you said the opposite thing "is it not meant to be NTFS file system, is it meant to be VMFS".
Mounting and formatting LUN to store backups on with NTFS is fine of course.
milfner
Influencer

Post by milfner »

hmm, i have contacted support, i guess i will just wait to hear back from them to see why i am getting VDK read-only errors on my VM Backups.