Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
bbruno
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

VAL ZFS support

Post by bbruno »

Hello,

Now that Solaris have it's agent support, did you have plan to support ZFS filesystem on VAL ?

Regards,
Bruno
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: VAL ZFS support

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please provide some details on the amount and type of data you'd like to backup? Is it an application (DB for example), or just plain files?

Thanks
bbruno
Influencer

Post by bbruno »

Hello PTide,
In my case, it's for plain files.
We use ZFS as filesystem for certain virtualisation plateform (proxmox), and to backup LXC container, we use ZFS snapshot that we mount and after that we rsync the mount folder.
Yesterday we have test to backup this folder with VAL but when I choose the folder to backup, I have the error : "zfs filesystem is not supported. Please exclude: /"
This server is in full ZFS.

If you have more question, feel free to ask.
Thanks,
Bruno
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Yesterday we have test to backup this folder with VAL but when I choose the folder to backup
VAL will be able to support that scenario with mounted ZFS snapshot very soon, stay tuned!

Thanks!
bbruno
Influencer

Post by bbruno »

Thanks for the information,
I will wait for this.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Just a follow up question - do you guys use any extended attributes on your ZFS volumes? If so then which mode is your xattr set to: "on" or "sa"?

Thanks
danjam1

Linux ZFS File System support?

Post by danjam1 »

I'm a bit new to the Veeam B&R world so excuse me if this topic was already talked about.

I'm curious what others are doing to backup ZFS file systems? We have setup backup schedules to "Backup directly from live file system" which is required for file systems not currently supported. This seems to be the only way to get anything backed up in this space. However I have a large number of TB's and unfortunately the time it takes is not feasible. Is there any one out there that has a better option?

And curious if and when Veeam will eventually support this?

Thanks all.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I added your question to the existing discussion.

For small systems customers do file backup, but that does not scale very well today (improvements are planned for the next version). As long as it is a VM, it's not an issue anyway.

Best regards,
Hannes
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Hannes is right - major enhancements of file-level backup perfomance are planned in next versions of VAL. If you have a spare non-production machine with large ZFS volumes you might want to contact our system engineers to arrange a demo with a prototype just to see how it will work. Should they (your engineer) ask you what kind of a prototype are you referring to, please point them to this post.

Thanks!
danjam1

Post by danjam1 »

HannesK wrote: Jul 11, 2019 12:52 pm Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I added your question to the existing discussion.

For small systems customers do file backup, but that does not scale very well today (improvements are planned for the next version). As long as it is a VM, it's not an issue anyway.

Best regards,
Hannes
Thanks for the responses. So just to be clear if I do a VM level backup I should be able to read into the ZFS file system? I've recently converted the Hard disks from RDM to VMDK. I'm actually right now performing another backup. It will take a bit of time but when its done if I understand correctly I should be able to see the files in that drive correct? If so that resolves my issue.
Thanks again.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes you should see it according to the user guide
The multi-OS wizard works not only with basic disks, but also Linux LVM (Logical Volume Manager) and ZFS pools
Best regards,
Hannes
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

So just to be clear if I do a VM level backup I should be able to read into the ZFS file system?
If ZFS resides inside a VM, then there are no specific requirements as long as the hypervisor can snapshot virtual disks. The article that Hannes is referring to describes FLR requirements for ZFS. Anyway, even if your setup doesn't meet those requirements (such as ZFS module version, for instance), you can use this workaround.

Thanks!
bbruno
Influencer

Post by bbruno »

Hi P.Tide,
Thanks for the last information, I just open a Case #03667002 to test this new version of VAL as I still have issues with ZFS volumes
The error are :

Code: Select all

boost::filesystem::create_directory: Read-only file system: "/var/tmp/veeam/snapmnt/{5ff09d66-64d0-4b7c-8f59-3c3b1cc87fce}/rpool/data"
Regards,
Bruno
BGilbert
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Brian Gilbert

Post by BGilbert »

I'm having the exact same error as Bruno but on different folders. The folders I'm having issue with are /var/lib/postgresql/latest and /var/lib/postgresql/10/main/pg_wal/latest. I can backup other folders like /boot and /home without an issue but as soon as I add the /var/lib/PostgreSQL I get the Read-only file system error.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

@BGilbert,
Kindly check which version are you running (the current version is v3.0.2.1190). If you're running the latest one, then please open you own support case and post your case ID.

Thank you!