Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
itrabbit
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dunleavy

Why is it so hard to get the tape job to do a full daily backup?

Post by itrabbit »

I am really struggling with Veeam and using tape backup. I even opened a support case but got so frustrated with the tech and how much time I wasted, that I just didn't continue with support. Case 03181887 (Australia). Worst support I have ever received from Veeam.

All I want is for my tape to backup a full backup daily, I don't want to the tape job to copy only incremental. I want a full backup.

I even have the incremental option unticked, yet the job shows it is doing an incremental???

I am doing a simple file to tape job, yet for some reason it insists on only backing up files it hasn't backed up.

I have set the job to do full backups every weekday.

So what am I doing wrong? do I need to create a media pool for every day of the week?

The jobs create a new media set every job run, so that is fine. However, it still won't do a full backup, I have tried ejecting tape, closing off media set.

I even tried an enterprise license and getting backup job to tape and it still did the same thing. I thought file to tape would just do it.

I am so frustrated I can't even do a simple file to tape copy.

Here are my pictures from the job: Note I run a pre-powershell script to collect all the files that it needs to backup, this is 62 files for today. However, it only backed up 22. It did backup those other files previous days, but I don't want it spanning tapes. I want 1 tape, full backup, all 62 files, every day!

Here are my screen shots from the job:

lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Re: Why is it so hard to get the tape job to do a full daily backup?

Post by lyapkost »

Hi Matt.

As long as I can see on the screenshots, the job is started at 3:38 manually thus it's run is incremental. If you want to rebackup all the files you need either to run Actife Full or wait for full backup scheduled time (3rd screenshot).