Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HendersonD
Expert
Liked: 8 times

SureReplica with replicas on two hosts?

Post by HendersonD »

In our disaster recovery (DR) site we have vCenter managing two ESXi 6.7 hosts with shared storage. Using Veeam, we replicate a dozen VMs ever hour from our production data center to this DR site. Some of the dozen replica VMs are one one host in DR, some are on the other host. I am bit unclear on how exactly to setup SureReplica. In our previous setup we only had one host in our DR site so it was more straight forward. When creating the virtual lab it asks me to pick one host. Later in the process of making the virtual lab there are three choices for networking
  • Basic single-host (automatic configuration)
  • Advance single-host (manual configuration)
  • Advanced multi-host (manual configuration)
Three questions
  1. Do I choose Advanced multi-host (manual configuration)?
  2. If I choose single host, will SureReplica still work fine since all the replica VMs are on shared storage even though they are scattered across both hosts?
  3. When the virtual lab asks me to choose a host, does it make a difference which host I choose out of the two I have in DR?
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: SureReplica with replicas on two hosts?

Post by Rick.Vanover »

I have found that if the DR/target is a cluster and there is shared storage and networking - I find myself having more success when I do the Advanced Multi-host. Then it doesn't matter which host is used. This is something that we find often in Veeam Availability Orchestrator as well.

Single-host is really applicable if the target is an isolated host or cluster.