Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
leo.white
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

SQL log backup & truncation failing

Post by leo.white »

I moved my installation of veeam to a new server. I used the configuration restore utility. Everything went fairly smoothly, but my SQL backups. The job says it's truncating the files, but when i try to go shrink the files since they grew during the extended down time over the move, they have zero free space and keep growing. Also i get this error in my Log backup job. Account used to talk to the server is my domain admin account, so i am not 100% sure how it could be getting denied.

10/2/2018 10:01:20 AM :: Failed to prepare guest for SQL Server transaction log backup Details: Failed to call RPC function 'FcCreateDir': The device is not ready. Cannot create folder. Folder path: [G:\Backups\SQL & SharePoint].
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: SQL log backup & truncation failing

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Are all of the accounts, including the ones in this job, set with a password - and the correct password?

The configuration restore utility does not carry over the passwords.
leo.white
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by leo.white »

ah, i think i figured it out. The drive letter is different. It can't create the file's on the actual Backup server. I re-mapped the backup job to the new repo, but for some reason it looks like it will not let that setting go. I guess i will just have to re-create the job.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

That's an option. Also support may be able to manipulate in the DB/back end if that would help.You'd need to open a case for that however.
jdrch
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Post by jdrch »

leo.white wrote: Oct 02, 2018 4:21 pm ah, i think i figured it out. The drive letter is different. It can't create the file's on the actual Backup server. I re-mapped the backup job to the new repo, but for some reason it looks like it will not let that setting go. I guess i will just have to re-create the job.
Had a similar error this morning and it turns out it was the same reason. Windows 10 v1903 update changed the letter of the drive the backup repository is on. Changing it back and rebooting fixed the issue.