Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
wormdoc
Influencer
Liked: never

Using Veeam to backup Azure VMS

Post by wormdoc »

Hi There, wondering if someone can point me to some documentation on whether or not Veeam can backup virtual macines hosted in azure?

I find alot of documentation about backing up to azure, but can't find much on if you can actually back up guests hosted in azure?

Thanks in advance
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Using Veeam to backup Azure VMS

Post by wishr »

Hi Wormdoc,

Welcome to Veeam community forums and thanks for posting your question.

Certainly, as a hyper-availability market leader, Veeam takes care about workloads that reside in cloud environments. We offer Veeam Agents designed for backing up physical and cloud machines. Veeam Agents can be integrated with Veeam Backup & Replication for centralized Agent jobs management and reporting. You can find detailed Veeam products documentation here.

Please take a look at the links above and let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Fedor
wormdoc
Influencer

Post by wormdoc »

Hi Team,

Wondering if you can confirm the below use case is suitable?

Have a customer with some on-prem Hyper-V Infrastructure only a single host (4vms)
Would look at installing Veeam on a VM and backing up to local storage on the host, is this OK? We would want to send the backups offsite to have another copy incase server failed. What is best method for this, cloud connect?

The customer also has about 15 servers in Azure, we would look at putting another VBR server into the Azure tenancy, then backing up the Azure VMs with agents. Is this doable? What type of storage do we need to use on the VM for backup repository, ideally hosting this on the VM itself. What type of storage can we use?

Are the following supported?

Managed disks(backing up data to managed disks)
Blob Storage (backing up data to blob storage
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Wormdoc,

Please find the answers below.
wormdoc wrote: Oct 24, 2018 1:32 am Would look at installing Veeam on a VM and backing up to local storage on the host, is this OK? We would want to send the backups offsite to have another copy incase server failed. What is best method for this, cloud connect?
Yes, technically this is possible, but I would not recommend storing the backup data at the same host you are backing up VMs from since there is a potential risk of losing the data if the host will go down. Separating B&R server and its components from the target host is a good idea.

In order to leverage Cloud Connect features, you'll require to choose a cloud vendor. Please note, that in the next B&R versions we'll have more options for archiving and storing your backups in hybrid cloud environments - please keep an eye on the B&R updates thread to stay updated.
wormdoc wrote: Oct 24, 2018 1:32 am The customer also has about 15 servers in Azure, we would look at putting another VBR server into the Azure tenancy, then backing up the Azure VMs with agents. Is this doable?
Yes, that is possible, but please consider these limitaions. Also, in certain circumstances, you might require to deploy Veeam Agents manually due to cloud network design limitation - such difficulties have been seen in Alibaba Cloud and Google Cloud, no information on similar situations with Azure, though.
wormdoc wrote: Oct 24, 2018 1:32 am What type of storage do we need to use on the VM for backup repository, ideally hosting this on the VM itself. What type of storage can we use? Are the following supported?
Managed disks(backing up data to managed disks)
Blob Storage (backing up data to blob storage)
Managed disks is a good option for organizing a Performance Tier storage, while Blob Storage is perfect for Capacity (Archive) Tiers. Please note, that Blob Storage could not be attached directly as of now, but you may want to take a look at the this thread (please stay tuned for B&R updates - more archiving options coming soon!).

Also, I would recommend you to take a look at this and that thread.

Hope this would help.

BR,
Fedor
wormdoc
Influencer

Post by wormdoc »

Thanks for your help Fedor.

Just trying to find more information on Azure and using B&R

There is not much out there, are there any examples of previous use cases?

I guess i'd have to stripe a bunch of 4tb disks together to backup about 30tb of data, has any one done this before and if so what Type of virtual machine was used?
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

wormdoc wrote: Oct 25, 2018 7:36 pm There is not much out there, are there any examples of previous use cases?
Hi,

I believe there should be several covering both "on-premise-to-Azure" and "Azure-to-Azure" use cases. Could you please try various search combinations and let us know if additional questions arise?

Thanks!