Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jcerrato1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John Cerrato

Update 4 CIFS shares backup?

Post by jcerrato1 »

Looking to know when version 4 update is coming out to include CIFS shares? I was told Oct 2018 just need to confirm.

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Update 4 CIFS shares backup?

Post by Gostev »

Hi John, actually Update 4 does not include CIFS shares. Thanks!
jcerrato1
Novice

Post by jcerrato1 »

I was told by a Veeam SE the following.
So Veeam currently does not have the ability to do CIFS shares but we are about to release an update 4 to our Backup and Replication product that will give you the ability to backup CIFS shares. From our current testing it looks like we should have it available in October as generally available. Our actual Version 10 that will include CDP functionality will not be out until early 2019 but your feature will be out with our Update 4 and no need to wait on 10.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Your Veeam SE is incorrect in that Update 4 will bring the ability to backup CIFS shares. Just like CDP, this feature was never planned for Update 4. And the release date estimation seems to be his own as well, as we did not announce the GA date internally yet. I would actually appreciate it if you PM me his or her name please, so that I could discuss this with the corresponding manager. Thanks!
jcerrato1
Novice

Post by jcerrato1 »

I have emailed the SE and also requested more info from my veeam rep . I need to know what update 4 will include since they have advised that CIFS would be coming out before we make the purchase.
flc-np
Novice
Full Name: Nicki

Post by flc-np »

Gostev so the NAS backup feature will not be in update 4 or is that something completely different?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

flc-np, it's the same, NAS backup will not be available in Update 4.
flc-np
Novice
Full Name: Nicki

Post by flc-np »

Oh that`s a bummer. Pretty sure I have seen that mentioned somewhere for update 4.
So I will have to wait for version 10 next year?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It's a bit early to say what would be the version of this release, but it will definitely be a post Update 4 release. Thanks!
tgietz
Veeam Software
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Tobias Gietz

Post by tgietz »

Hi,

maybe he means ndmp backup? As option to write CIFS Files to Tape?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

NDMP to Tape backup is in fact in Update 4. However, not every CIFS share out there supports NDMP dumps, so I did not think this would be a valid answer to OP's request (unlike our future NAS backup functionality, which is currently in tech preview and is planned to be shipped in the next release following U4).
tommyo
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by tommyo »

I'm a huge fan of Veeam and your products but I have to say....this is very frustrating. I was at VeeamON in 2017 when v10 was announced. CIFS Backups and CDP were a big part of that announcement and I was told the v10 release was end of 2017 or early 2018. From the looks of this post, it could be close to two years before these features are released since the original announcement. I was also told at the recent Ignite conference (from a Veeam rep) that CIFS backups were in Update 4.

Maybe their is a disconnect between your Sales and Development Teams but this can cause frustration with your customers especially when trying to plan and budget.
rdixon01
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rick

Post by rdixon01 »

What does CDP stand for that I see referenced from time to time in this thread?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

@Tommyo I understand your frustration and I am very sorry about this. There was absolutely NO official communication on the v10 release dates at VeeamON 2017, so anything you may have heard from anyone had nothing to deal with the reality. The goal of VeeamON 2017 was to announce our 2-3 year roadmap, and we (I personally) made sure no release dates are provided for any particular feature in any of the official communications. We learnt this lesson well, and are no longer providing long-term roadmap even internally - not to give anyone a chance to be "selling future".

@Rick VeeamCDP is Veeam Continuous Data Protection, which is in essence VM replication without VM snapshots (by tapping directly into VM I/O) with very low RPO (down to seconds).
tommyo
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by tommyo »

Thanks for the explanation.