Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dast
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dast

Delete from disk not erasing data

Post by dast »

Hi there,

I'm using Veeam B&R 9 with vsphere 6.
My jobs are configured to store backups locally the copy them on a secondary target.

I've run out of disk space on main target and i noticed i was backuping VM i shouldn't have. I deleted from disk those, but the space is still consummed on the disk, even after rerunning the jobs. After that last run i now have 340KB available so I can't rerun it.

Any idea why it does not delete from disk and what I maybe able to do now ?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Delete from disk not erasing data

Post by foggy »

If you use the Delete from Disk Veeam B&R UI option, data is not actually deleted from storage but corresponding blocks belonging to this VM are marked as free in the backup file, to be later re-used by other data. To free this space up you need to perform compact operation or make a new full, which will copy only actually required blocks to the new full backup file. At this moment, you need to free up some space manually to allow the job or compact to run properly.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

As an alternative you can setup a temporary repository, move the backup chain there, perform compact, and import the new chain back to the original repository and map the backup job to continue the chain.
dast
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dast

Post by dast »

Hi,

OK then I will look into moving the chain to a temp repo so that i can perform a compact.

Thanks