Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nielsenmn
Novice
Liked: never

How to setup veeam to backup 2 a external nas

Post by nielsenmn »

Today we have setup a backup job for all our virtual machines and it is backed up to a synology disk station located in the office. We would also like a virtual maskine backup to another location outside the office to a nas using a wan connection.
We only have one esxi datacenter in the main office and no esxi datacenser in the remote location only a nas device.
What is best practice in this case to make an ekstra backup to a NAS locate in the remote location. Is it to create an exstra backup job for the same virtual machines and then specify the rometepath as a destination.

Best regards

nielsenmn
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How to setup veeam to backup 2 a external nas

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello, there is a similar discussion regarding possible scenarios, please take a look:
Does veeam offer anyway to replicate backup sets?
nielsenmn
Novice

Post by nielsenmn »

Thank you for a reply on this case.
Wee have no linux server and no esx/esxi server at the remote site so from the thread you suggested i conclude that the only way is to create an extra backup job for the same virtual machines or use som kind of replication included in the nas box to a nas box in the remote site.
Is my conclusion correct?
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

Post by TaylorB »

Yeah, I would go outside of Veeam for this one. Just find some other utility to sync your backups from one NAS to the other. That is going to be the easiest and cleanest option.
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Post by Yuki »

You have several options:

1) use VPN between two sites so you can access NAS directly via SMB/CIFS

2) Synology may have an RSYNC client built-in, so you can either open ports on both firewalls and setup replication, or establish VPN and perform replication that way
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... ync_Server
nielsenmn
Novice

Post by nielsenmn »

Thank you for your assitance.
nielsenmn
Novice

Post by nielsenmn »

I have decided to use yuki's suggestion 1 and create extra backup job for all server, but instead of investing in a extra synology nas for the remote location i want 2 use a share on a 2003 server located in the remote site, but that gives me a authentication issue because the veeam server is a domain member and the 2003 server is running workgroup with different username and password. I have no linux server at the remote site or local site. What is the solution for this, because i don't se any possibilities to enter credentials for the backup job.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Forget it, Windows share is definitely no-go as a target for remote site with v5. You really need Linux server to enable our software using the processing agent offsite, otherwise traffic usage will be immense during full backup processing. And because this will go over slow WAN, the process will also take forever. This is just not going to work.
nielsenmn
Novice

Post by nielsenmn »

Thank you for a quick reply.
Do we still need a linux server if we buy an extra Synolygy NAS for the remote site instead of using windows shares?
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

Post by TaylorB »

You would have to check with Synology and see what replication services they can run. The replication should be handled between the two Synology boxes and not Veeam.
ststrasser
Novice

Post by ststrasser »

I'd like to bring this thread back to life.
We're using a hardware server with veeam installed as backup target. Now we wanted to add a Synology DS1512+ as a replication target. Configuration was successful so far.
The problem is as follows: All replications still go over the veeam server, which is the bottleneck here. We'd like to get veeam to just tell the VCS to send the data to the Synology box and head back to sleep.

Is there any possibiliy to do so?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

All backups and replicas need to be done via proxies, and if Veeam Server is your only machine, it acts both as proxy and repository.
The only way to let vCenter replicate directly is to install the proxy role on vCenter and configure the replica jobs to use it as a proxy.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
ststrasser
Novice

Post by ststrasser »

Thanks a lot, Luca!

I'll have to discuss this with my boss, but it seems to be an acceptable solution to the problem... given, that our VCS has enough power to pull this through.

But still thanks!