Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
JHuston
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jeff Huston

Long term of site retention 7+ years

Post by JHuston »

Just a little background first. We currently use a NetApp AltaVault for a backup copy repository. This dedupes our jobs by around 14-15:1 and then streams them to Azure Blob for long term retention. The company I work for has a retention policy of 7+ years on everything. As you can imagine, this adds up. Our hydrated Veeam data on the AltaVault is ~475TB over the last 18 months. This is only 33TB after the dedupe savings.

Unfortunately NetApp is pulling the plug on the AltaVault line with no replacement leaving us with a gap to fill. Off site backups and long term retention.

So here's the question. How do you tackle both off site and long term data retention with Veeam in your org?

The Archive Tier in the upcoming update looks kinda cool but I don't think it will fit our needs, at least the way it's described it won't. The way I understand it is in scale out repos you set a limit on when to archive backups to the cloud. E.g., set the limit to 70% and when the repo hits 70% full it archives the oldest off to the BLOB store. Is that correct? If so, that won't fit our use case. We need to stream any Veeam backups sent to a Veeam repo to the cloud as well the same day. This would be used in case the site was lost or due to some malware event on the primary backup storage.
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: Long term of site retention 7+ years

Post by MichaelCade »

That’s one setting or a failsafe of the capacity tier. But the premise of the capacity tier is set to how many days do you want to keep local and after that it will send off those sealed backup files to your object storage.

Within Veeam though. It will still be seen as it is local and if a recovery is required then it will only egress what is needed.
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

One thing I will add about the capabilities of the upcoming cloud object storage support of the Scale-Out Backup Repository is that there is a setting that says "move backup files older than xxx days" to an object storage... This can be set to 0 - meaning - once it is written on premises-it is also sent out to the cloud immediately.
JHuston
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jeff Huston

Post by JHuston »

Great, thank you for the info. Are there any white papers or detailed info on the cloud object storage feature that is coming out? Having a feature list would be great so I can see if it'll fill our gap.
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Post by MichaelCade » 1 person likes this post

Jeff, the best way to learn a little more would be via the recent VMworld session that can be viewed here - https://videos.vmworld.com/searchsite/2 ... ayer/23306 more detail will be arriving around GA
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1