Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bmillard
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Bill Millard

Failed VM in vCloud job triggers Full on other VM's

Post by bmillard »

Hello,

I have support case 03125799 open for this, and was informed it was normal behavior. I haven't seen this happen before, so I wanted to throw it out to the Community.

Environment is B&R 9.5U3 backing up vCloud Director 9.0 Tenants for our IaaS offering. We recently had some space issues after bringing in a large Tenant, so jobs were failing. We added space, but that was instantly exhausted. Investigation found that when a single VM in the job would fail, it would trigger a Full for every VM on the next run. This is around a 4TB Tenant, coming to around 2.4TB transferred. Job is also using per-VM backup files.

We then pointed the job to a new Repo to get a fresh start, and the same thing happens. As it was explained by Support, if I had a job with 100VM's and one failed, the next night a Full would run on every VM and not an Incremental. This does not sound like normal behavior to me, and is confirmed in the vSphere User Guide under Job Retry. Is this strictly a vCloud issue, where if I ran a normal vSphere backup this wouldn't happen? Anyone else seeing this as well?

Thanks!
anthonyspiteri79
Veeam Software
Liked: 207 times
Full Name: Anthony Spiteri

Re: Failed VM in vCloud job triggers Full on other VM's

Post by anthonyspiteri79 »

Hey there Bill. Just checking in here... have you gotten anywhere with this issue? Curious as what caused it?
Anthony Spiteri
Regional CTO APJ & Lead Cloud and Service Provider Technologist
Email: anthony.spiteri@veeam.com
Twitter: @anthonyspiteri
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Failed VM in vCloud job triggers Full on other VM's

Post by foggy »

This behavior is specific to vApp backup.