Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dtwiley
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dave Twilley

Feature Request: Tape Job Timeout

Post by dtwiley » 1 person likes this post

Not sure if I've missed the option but I can't see a way to make tape jobs timeout if a tape isn't inserted.

We have a client who runs two LTO-6 jobs, one at 1am and one at 10am, they change the tape manually. Each job uses a different tape media pool.

BUT, when they forget to put a tape in, the job tries to run to the next tape it gets which may well be for a different job and then promptly ejects it. The job then waits and eventually they put the correct tape in the next day and the job runs late and completes with a ~27 hour run time!

Other products allow us to have a timeout on the job so if a tape isn't inserted after a user defined time it cancels the job which clears it all down for the next tape backup to run.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request: Tape Job Timeout

Post by veremin »

Is this something you were looking for? Thanks.
dtwiley
Enthusiast

Post by dtwiley »

Awesome thanks, when you putting it in the GUI? ;)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Currently, it's registry only setting. Let's consider it a feature request. :)
dtwiley
Enthusiast

Post by dtwiley »

Great, so far its the only thing I can find that your product doesn't have in the GUI that one of the other well known backup products has, you know the one that "sometimes" backs up and "occasionally" allows you to restore!
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Post by Didi7 »

Quote v.Eremin:
Currently, it's registry only setting. Let's consider it a feature request.

*******************************************************************************************************

Really, I cannot understand why the 'Backup Window' still can only be changed with a registry key for B2T or F2T jobs. This is a very common option in traditional backup to tape software of your competitors, even the integrated Backup Utility from Windows Server 2003 offers such an option.

You have a 'Backup Window' in your B2D jobs but not in your B2T or F2T jobs? It's really annnoying, that this kind of feature has not been already integrated into the GUI and you force your customers to use Registry Keys instead.

Besides several installations of VBR with tape libraries, we currently roll-out several installations of VBR with single tape drives only and are forced to use Registry Keys on all those backup servers to have some kind of "Backup Window" change feature!

Why is it annoying? Because it's a feature that should have been long integrated into VBR's GUI. Tape support has already been integrated in VBR 7, now we are 3 versions further!

And it's always very opaque, why Veeam can't include such easy features into the GUI. It's not that this kind of feature request is rocket science!

Let's hope this feature will do it into v10 of VBR, as VBR 9.5 U3 is already around the corner.

Please Veeam, compare VBR regarding this feature with competitor products, it's there for ages! And yes, Veeam B&R is much better than any other backup product I have used in virtual environments before and I have already compared many!

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Poweruser
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Poweruser

Post by Poweruser »

Yes, add it to the GUI! REG editing sucks ;-)
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Post by Didi7 »

Ok, another term to describe the misery!
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!