Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DE&C
Service Provider
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: William

Feature Request: "Standalone" Backup Validator

Post by DE&C »

I used more then one time the backup validator, which is a very helpful tool for me :) (https://www.veeam.com/kb2086). Unfortunately, it must be run from a VBR-Server. I would like to see a "standalone validator" that can be run from any (windows) server which has access to the backups.

Scenario we have with a customer
- Datacenter 1: primary + dedicated backup storage, VBR-server and proxies
- Datacenter 2: dedicated storage for backup Copy Jobs (GFS)
- Link between DC1 and DC2 is very slow (1-2Mbit ->WAN accelerator is in use)

The customer has a lot of backup files (GFS: 4W, 12 M, 7y) on the DC2. Now he likes to test if the backup is corrupted (without Sure Backup or Virtual Lab, and not over the Link from DC1 to DC2). As far as I understand from the Veeam support, the backup validator needs a VBR-server. At the moment we could install a "naked" VBR-server in DC2 and run from there the validator (information from ticket: 02509643).

That's why I would appreciate a "standalone" tool without the need of a VBR-server.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request: "Standalone" Backup Validator

Post by foggy »

Hi Doron, you're right, currently Veeam Backup Validator requires access to running Veeam Backup Service and Veeam B&R database, but thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
iwik
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by iwik » 1 person likes this post

Hi, +1 from me to this feature. I'm just trying ReFS repository and I wanted to run backup check directly on storage repository server. Right now it is possible to run it only on veeam server (=over network)
billcouper
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bill Couper

Post by billcouper » 1 person likes this post

+1

Just wasted hours trying to get backup file validation working across the network from Cloud Connect server to repository server.

Please give us a way to run this locally on the repository server without installing the full VBR software!
DE&C
Service Provider
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: William

Post by DE&C »

@Foggy: Is there any update about this? My last request was on January 2019 (1 year, 3 months passed since then).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi William, at the moment there are no plans to deliver this functionality. Thanks!
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

referencing https://www.veeam.com/kb2086

and testing the options it appears that using a UNC path with administrative shares does not work against the /file parameter. You have to setup network shares?
(unless my syntax is wrong)

Background
I have a standalone VBK file (VEEAMZIP) that I want to validate this file. (1.4TB size VM)
It is located on a Veeam B&R managed Backup Repository.
On the Veeam Backup Server in a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator) I can list the file on the remote server doing
dir \\dindjarin\h$\backups\MANDO.vm-192342D2020-09-09T091821_3355.vbk

However, I cannot pass this into the Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe

"%ProgramFiles%\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe" /file:"\\dindjarin\h$\backups\MANDO.vm-192342D2020-09-09T091821_3355.vbk"
Failed to process storage. Failed to validate files.

QUICK UPDATE: I created a network share to the path of the file. However, even though I can see it remotely. It appears that the validator still requires username and password credentials in the command line to operate.
Will test with administrative share in the path once validation completed.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen » 1 person likes this post

OK so this works.

Code: Select all

"%ProgramFiles%\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe" /file:"\\dindjarin\h$\backups\MANDO.vm-192342D2020-09-09T091821_3355.vbk" /username:192.168.0.121\Admin /password:MyPassword